Vacuumed issue...I think.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grumpy Grizzly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
So since I have owned this Beast in the morning I have to put my foot all the way to the floor toget gas back to the carb, also when I come out of the drive way and romp on the pedal the poor carb starves out and I get a hiccup or two then it beats feet.

I rebuilt the carb and it still has the same issues. I am about replace all the vacuum lines that I haven't seen cracks or splits in but I doubt that will fix anything, since then all seem healthy. I looked through the Haynes and some web sight stuff but to no fruitful results.

This 'burban had the whole emissions package in it but was by passed at some point before me.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so did you/ how did you solve it.

Also-I replaced plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and when I did the counter balance weights seemed free and normal. I'm thinking my next step is to replace all that in the distributor.

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Are you sure your choke is closing all the way when cold and not pulling open too far when its running?

Grumpy Grizzly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Are you sure your choke is closing all the way when cold and not pulling open too far when its running?

I'll have to try adjusting it thanks.

After rebuild I put the choke at 20deg as the instructions said.

Ima dope not to think of that. Thanks George.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Check to and see if the vacuum t behind the carb is loose. Kinda sounds like the carb is leaking fuel. Mine doesn't need more then a half pedal.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Grumpy Grizzly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Check to and see if the vacuum t behind the carb is loose. Kinda sounds like the carb is leaking fuel. Mine doesn't need more then a half pedal.

thanks Ill check that too, but I don't have any of the usual gas smells wafting from under hood.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I meant to say the vacuum t on the intake behind the carb

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You wont Smell gas from that.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Make sure your hard fuel lines don't have any cracks. Electric or manual choke?

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205

This is the first thing I thought too. If it only does it when cold I would bet it is the choke. What kind of carb is it? As far as having to really work the pedal when cranking to get the gas to it mine has that problem too but I chalk mine up to it just sitting a while between starts and the gas evaporates. When was the fuel pump last replaced? That is something I was going to try to remedy mine soon, since it has been over 15 yrs since the rebuild I figured the check valve was bad...

Attachments

• fuel_pump_mechanical.jpg
    fuel_pump_mechanical.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 132

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
This is the first thing I thought too. If it only does it when cold I would bet it is the choke. What kind of carb is it? As far as having to really work the pedal when cranking to get the gas to it mine has that problem too but I chalk mine up to it just sitting a while between starts and the gas evaporates. When was the fuel pump last replaced? That is something I was going to try to remedy mine soon, since it has been over 15 yrs since the rebuild I figured the check valve was bad...

Yup, same thing here. I know my well plugs leak too. I just crank for the count of three then pump it three or four times and boom she fires up.

Grumpy Grizzly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Sounds like it's an older engine common problem then. I was thinking of putting an electronic inline pump and just plate the hole for the mechanical pump but that means running a return line.:whymewhyme:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Mechanical pumps dont go out all at once usually like an electric can. Everyone I know who went electric usually just bought some universal pump that craps out all of a sudden when you really dont need it to happen. If you do go electric buy a second one and keep it in the glovebox. I'm thinking about an inline filter between the tank and mech pump, since my tank seems to have a lot of trash in it I think it will prolong the pump's service life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76