Vacuum Brake Booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barelhos71

Reaction score
First Name
Michelle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15000
Engine Size
I have a 1979 GMC that we are getting ready to replace the Master Cylinder on. This truck has belonged to my mom since 1980. As we were looking at the MC - we noticed it was missing the Vacuum Brake booster. Not sure if ever had one. I know we've been "Pumping" the breaks to build up pressure for years - unsure if maybe the booster went out and mom had it removed and never replaced due to finances... So my question is - were these standard for that year - it appears the bolt pattern (Bracket) is in place - IF she had it removed - and we are looking to replace it - would anyone have suggestions on what I need to buy - and what goes into reconnecting the brakes?

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
There was a manual brake system and a power brake system available in 1979.

Need to know a bit more detail about your truck, like series (10, 20 or 30), GVW or ideally the brake code (JB3, JB5 etc).

K

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Considering the truck is a 6 cylinder, manual, and you aren't complaining of a really stiff brake pedal, I would assume you're car was ordered without power brakes. Manual brakes use a different master and a different pushrod pivot point location, or you will have a very stiff brake pedal.

barelhos71

Reaction score
First Name
Michelle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15000
Engine Size
@Ricko1966 If we choose to install a booster, is it complicated to install for a mechanically inclined individual? I dont love having to "pump" the dang breaks everytime Im coming to a stop. looking at the bracket that is in the truck it looks like the bolt holes had something mounted at some point.. I'm suspicious the booster went out years ago, and my mom couldn't afford to replace it, and was told she didn't "REALLY need it." But if putting one on would take away the need to pump them, I'm for it.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
@Ricko1966 If we choose to install a booster, is it complicated to install for a mechanically inclined individual? I dont love having to "pump" the dang breaks everytime Im coming to a stop. looking at the bracket that is in the truck it looks like the bolt holes had something mounted at some point.. I'm suspicious the booster went out years ago, and my mom couldn't afford to replace it, and was told she didn't "REALLY need it." But if putting one on would take away the need to pump them, I'm for it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@barelhos71 if you are mechanically inclined should be no big deal. But everything I wrote,referenced stiff pedal because that's what you should have if booster was removed. @rusted nuts is correct you need to find out why you are having to pump them.I was explaining the booster wasn't the problem. Guess I wasn't clear enough. Could be air in the lines,could be the master itself could be seriously out of adjustment. But it's not a booster pronlem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko