V8 transplant....what's needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
82 c10 2wd. Has a 250ci 6 in it right now. What is needed to swap over to a small block? Obviously engine mounts but does it need a different crossmember?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Crossmember should stay in the same place, shifter linkage should all stay in the same place. You might need a bigger radiator to keep the V8 cool depending on what size you have now. You'll need the V8 fan shroud, and the throttle linkage cable will be shorter for the V8. Then of course the exhaust. I little bit of wiring will need to be done since the I6 igintion wires are much longer where they come out of the loom to the alternator.

We kinda like the 250 around here being that you can't kill it. Is yours Auto or Manual trans? A few around here will kill to have an I6 3 speed column shift. If it were me, I'd keep the I6 and find a Non Integral head off of an older 250 or 230 along with the intake and exhaust manifold.

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
I dont plan on ditching the 250 just yet. I'm actually leaning towards doing a turbo setup on it. Only problem is getting a new head as mine is integrated plus everything that needs to go into it a V8 swap is much cheaper and more reliable.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I would rock a 250 pretty hard Ghetto...
Swap heads/ mill / pocket port it, copper shim gasket, good valves+3 angle job and pick up a 4bbl manifold, roller rockers and a good header? Wicked cam? Underdrive crank pulley - Maybe screw around and hook a nitro to it? You could even bore it and sleep the peewaddin out of it! 4.56 posi out back? R u feelin me Ghetto?
Fancy exhaust and stuff? Man that would be seriously cool.

http://forums.hotrod.com/car-craft/...sion/hot-rodding-the-chevy-inline-6-cylinder/

Last edited:

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
To run a 4 barrel I would first need to get a non integrated head followed by the 4b intake, header, carb itself. Just the cost of those 4 items alone I could put a small block in cheaper.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
To run a 4 barrel I would first need to get a non integrated head followed by the 4b intake, header, carb itself. Just the cost of those 4 items alone I could put a small block in cheaper.

You're right, and that's why most end up punting on the I6 HiPo mods. Not many options as far as Intake, Exhaust and head. Cost alot to make one go fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast