V belts - good brand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Yep you usually can buy the belt and pay shipping to your house cheaper than walking in anywhere. Often times cheaper than a cheapo belt at advanced with a 20% off coupon.

If you buy rock rock don't forget to Google for a 5% discount code if you can't find the one they sent you by email in the last few weeks.
Or go under the preferred vendors section here.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Were the belts damn near universal so I can get a P/N or am I gonna have to bring old belts in to a store and measure? Would like to just add to a cart and order

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I bought my Gates belts off Amazon for cheap with free shipping.Only belts/ hoses I'll use

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Were the belts damn near universal so I can get a P/N or am I gonna have to bring old belts in to a store and measure? Would like to just add to a cart and order
Part numbers are usually based on diameter and length. So you you may have something like a 13200 which for those who us that way to measure is the 13 size belt and it's 20.0 inches long. This is a totally made up size not what you need. I think v belt prefixes are 11, 13, and 15 for common ones. But it's been almost twenty years since I worked in the parts business and this truck is all I have that uses v belts automotive wise. So I don't mess with them much anymore. Those numbers will go between manufactures. Some of them throw on additional numbers, I think gates does this. You just need to know how to pick it apart.

But no these trucks had so many size combinations that could have been used and it confuses stuff while people have put different size belts on them. These older trucks have some forgiveness and you can fit different size belts on and make them work.

Best to use your belt # if it is working and order a new one based on its number if you can see it still. If not parts houses have a measuring tool. Or you can order from parts stores online but are local so you can return them if wrong easier .

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The first two digits are the width and angle of the V. The stock belts on my ‘75 are all “15” series belts that are 1/2” (actually 15/32” ) wide. The next three numbers are the length in inches and decimal fraction of inches - 15145 would be a 15 series belt that is 14.5” long. Look up your stock belts on rock auto to get the number, and then shop for the brand You want.

My aftermarket Sanden compressor should use a wider belt, but I used a 15 series since it fit the crankshaft pulley. YMMV.

My truck has HD cooling and it uses a longer 15418 PS belt that goes around the water pump, crankshaft and PS pulley, so it drives the water pump and fan even if the alternator belt breaks. Standard cooling has a shorter 15360 belt that goes only around the crankshaft and PS pulley.

Bruce

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
But no these trucks had so many size combinations that could have been used and it confuses stuff while people have put different size belts on them. These older trucks have some forgiveness and you can fit different size belts on and make them work.

Best to use your belt # if it is working and order a new one based on its number if you can see it still. If not parts houses have a measuring tool. Or you can order from parts stores online but are local so you can return them if wrong easier .

The above is exactly why I'd want to get them at a local part house. This is what I typically do. Remove the belts and see if you can find any numbers on them. When you take them off mark which one came from where. Then take them with you into the parts store ask them for the needed belts and then compare what you have to what they bring out. Depending on the amount your belts have stretched the new ones might be a 1/8 - 1/4" shorter. If the new belts are correct write on the belt sleeves which one you installed where and then hang on to the sleeves for next time. Then when you need to do the belts again in a few years you'll already have the p[art numbers and getting them will be easy squeezy.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
I had an '83 half ton short box 305 with low miles, and when I put a giant alternator on to accommodate my slow speed snow plowing, it would chew an expensive belt in no time, so I put on the El Cheapo $5 made in who knows where where land, and I never had a problem. Go figure.

I've had problems with expensive belts, and then no issues with cheap belts. I'd like to think that Gates is top of the line, but I don't recall if I had trouble with their belts to be honest. And I've got dozens of cars, including Corvairs, which are extremely hard on belts. Corvairs need a wrapped belt bcause of the 90 degree routing. It's the same style that are used in industrial machines. Wrapped belts have no exposed cords, so they can slip. On a Corvair, especially with a stick, you don't want grip, and you don't want to tightlet tensioned belt.

Getting back on topic, make sure your pulleys are clean with no rust and no burrs. If you have serpentine belts, look deep in the grooves for debris, it gets jammed inside, and you have to use a wire brush to clean it out, sometimes even with the engine running. Good luck with not losing your hand

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Good results with Goodyear/Continental, Gates, and Dayco. Also check feeBay. I’ve gotten really good deals for belts there in the past.

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
Gates

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
My 86 has all V-belts except the alt. I had just put a new power steering pump V-belt on after I replaced the pump (Gates). Then the AC compressor seized so I obviously got a new belt when I redid the whole AC system (Dayco).
I could never stop that bitch from sqealing as soon as I put on the AC. It only lasted a few seconds but was annoying as hell. I kept trying to tighten it but it seemed to be more than enough tension. Kept getting worse so that it would squeal every time I started it. Hot, cold or in between...didn't matter and the AC wasn't even on. Still kept getting worse and started to squeal every time I accelerated from a stop). Again, the AC was not on. Putting the AC on sounded like I was skinning live cats.

I just replaced it last night with a new Napa (supposedly a renamed Gates) and its a new found Heavenly silence as it should be with or without the AC running. Guess we'll see how it holds up.

Never experienced an issue like that before with a new belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84