Upper radiator hose collapsing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Has anyone ever encountered their upper radiator hose collapsing ? Mine just recently started to do it , everything I read online said it's due to a vacuum being created in the system either by a faulty radiator cap or a clogged overflow hose , so I checked both , the overflow hose had no obstructions , and the radiator cap didn't look great so I replaced it but the hose is still collapsing. I also need to add , that the radiator , water pump , upper and lower hoses, as well as the thermostat are all less than a year old , only thing I haven't checked was thermostat . Would anyone be able to shed some light on this and point me in the right direction so that I can get this fixed , don't want to drive it til I get this fixed so I don't risk overheating. Thanks

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Have you considered replacing the upper radiator hose? Or at least swapping it for one you have lying around temporarily?

My first thought was cavitation causing it to collapse.

Is it collapsing at a bend/angle? I know some routing of the hoses has them at a weird angle that runs it over the alternator for example.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
I don't have another hose laying around unfortunately , but it's not ran at any weird angles and it just started doing it last week , all hoses are less than a yr old , replaced radiator , water pump , thermostat , engine , etc etc etc all around same time , didn't have any issues out until last week , already replaced radiator cap cause it didn't look great and it was less than a yr old as well .got me stumped

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Could have been bad quality hoses. It's 20 bucks throw a new one on and see what happens. I know a lot of lower rad hoses have springs inside to help them keep their shape.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Gonna pick up a new thermostat and upper radiator hose when the Mrs. gets he and try that and see what happens , thanks for the input guys , hopefully this fixes it , cavitation was also a suggested possibility , not to sound dumb but what is that exactly ? What typically causes it and possible fixes ? And once again I appreciate all the help , one of the reasons I enjoy being a part of this forum/ family .

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
A new hose on my upper fixed collapsing. it was also disintegrating.

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
I believe it was the small hose going to my overflow bottle got twisted somehow to the point that coolant was unable to flow back once the engine was shut off and cooled down. Which created a vacuum in the system and making my upper hose collapse , everything seems to be working properly now . Now on to dialing in the carb , and getting heat and a/c to work . Thanks

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Gonna pick up a new thermostat and upper radiator hose when the Mrs. gets he and try that and see what happens , thanks for the input guys , hopefully this fixes it , cavitation was also a suggested possibility , not to sound dumb but what is that exactly ? What typically causes it and possible fixes ? And once again I appreciate all the help , one of the reasons I enjoy being a part of this forum/ family .

I mean like cavitation in your power steering system for example.

There's Air pockets in the cooling system , when you have a mass of fluid moving, if there's air pockets, it'll cause like.... Vacuum spots for lack of a better descriptor.

For example, when I setup hydro assist on the solid axle on my s10 and modified the pump to flow higher, I never did take the time to bleed out the system of all its air, so on occasion, at a high rpm while turning, I'll hear the pump whine momentarily.

It's cavitating, or hitting air pockets and starving the pump.

In the case of your cooling system, since it's not tough reinforced lines like steering components, it might be collapsing the hose at an already structurally weak spot if this makes any sense at all.

I might be pissing in the wind, I'm bad with describing stuff lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512