86 BIG BLOCK C10 upper radiator hose collapsing. Why?? Video inside.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I have seen the lower hose do this (not on this truck) I have never seen the upper hose do this. I was going to pull the thermostat out and see if it was sticking, but wanted to wait till I got a response from this great forum.
has this happen to anyone else. I have 180 thermostat in it. Pay close attention to the upper hose. Thats CRAZY
crazy!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
here is a update.
took rad cap off and the hose will not collapse, but water shoots out like a fountain at only 195F look close and you really dont see water coming out of the radiator cores. Thermostat is next to be removed. My guess will be the thermostat for the fact there is very little water flow through the core's. I did put a new cap and test the reservoir(not clogged) and the upper hose still collapse.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
With a serpentine belt I'm guessing someone may have installed the wrong rotation water pump. The hose shouldn't be that soft either

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Yes very well could have wrong water pump. Easy to make the mistake if parts guy looks up wrong thing and 86 is right around lots of changes.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Thanks guys. Its a 1999 vortec with a reverse water pump. This was running perfect 1 month ago.
All of a sudden this issue just started.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
You mentioned it seems like flow is the issue. How old is the Radiator? Might be time to have it rodded out

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'd pull the thermostat and check that its opening correctly. No really normal to get a low pressure area there so I'd say either a stuffed thermostat or maybe your upper hose has just gone soft and is collapsing under the slightest hint of low pressure

JohnRod

Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
dont buy a motorrad made in Israel. almost no good when new! pretty sure I got it at autozone. always ran hot. bought a cheap Rock Auto and the temp runs right on 180.
Rod in hot AZ

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Cavitation.

The water pump is pumping air. (water vapor)The cooling system is probably full of water which equals STEAM and water VAPOR raising to that place- the highest point in the cooling system.
We/I were just talking about this exact issue in a different thread. Great video.
That noise is steam bubbles popping.

I bet it stops if you fill the system with a 50/50 mix of green or yellow antifreeze using (distilled water) and properly bleed the air out.

You/he/she/me/we should always fill the radiator with the engine running and not replace the cap until no more bubbles appear in the fill neck. Replace cap AND THEN fill the overflow to the proper level. It is marked with a line.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe