Upper control arm mounting studs. Source other than LMC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Retoxtony

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
1979, 1982
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Just like the title says, has anyone managed to ever find a source for these studs other than LMC or a auto wrecker? They are discontinued by GM and I haven’t found them anywhere else. When I pulled my upper control arms out the other night one of these studs has some bad threads.

LMC has them but for the $3.95 part they want $57Can shipping to Canada. So that will be my last resort. I had a offer from a pick and pull wrecker that I could come grab some off a truck for free, but he was 400 miles away from me. I did phone a few closer auto wreckers but they have nothing for me.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Somebody on this site HAS to have access to a junk frame somewhere they can rob these studs off of??? Pull 'em and send 'em!!!!???

Retoxtony

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
1979, 1982
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
To be fair I do have the option of getting them from LMC and having them shipped to Arizona. My dad is in Yuma right now for winter. I’m having some other parts shipped there as well and he’ll bring them back to Canada in march sometime. He probably could just send me one of the studs out of the LMC package, but I’d rather not make him deal with it. He’s old and on vacation.

Also, I’ve read a few places that at one point the LMC ones actually weren’t the right size. So I’m really hoping they have that figured out.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@Retoxtony Hey so what he's old , so am I!!! Wouldn't take minute to help out his kid!!!!.......just kiddin'...but seriously someone should have these and it really wouldn't take much to get them to you!!!....just interested in getting you going

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Just like the title says, has anyone managed to ever find a source for these studs other than LMC or a auto wrecker? They are discontinued by GM and I haven’t found them anywhere else. When I pulled my upper control arms out the other night one of these studs has some bad threads.

LMC has them but for the $3.95 part they want $57Can shipping to Canada. So that will be my last resort. I had a offer from a pick and pull wrecker that I could come grab some off a truck for free, but he was 400 miles away from me. I did phone a few closer auto wreckers but they have nothing for me.
There are 4 squarebodys at my local yard, I could get one for you no prob. Itd be whatever my guy would charge me, plus a 9$ flat rate box, and 3$ insurance.
What is your truck model, and what exactly do you need ? A pic would be great, so I dont get the wrong thing. Is it the 2 bolts that hold the upper a arm to the frame?

There is a C10, a C20, a C30, and a K10 at the yard.

Retoxtony

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
1979, 1982
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
There are 4 squarebodys at my local yard, I could get one for you no prob. Itd be whatever my guy would charge me, plus a 9$ flat rate box, and 3$ insurance.
What is your truck model, and what exactly do you need ? A pic would be great, so I dont get the wrong thing. Is it the 2 bolts that hold the upper a arm to the frame?

There is a C10, a C20, a C30, and a K10 at the yard.

If thats all it will cost to have them shipped to Canada that sounds great. Truck is a GMC 1500 so same as a Chev C10. Its the studs that the upper A arm/control arm bolt onto. They actually go through the frame from the engine bay. From what i can find online they're 1/2-20 x 3.125". I tried pretty hard to cross reference that with anything else out there and no luck. You cant see it in the pic but the threads on the one are in bad shape.

I'll send you a PM as well. Thanks.

Attachments

• Upper control arm studs.jpg
    Upper control arm studs.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 304

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
If thats all it will cost to have them shipped to Canada that sounds great. Truck is a GMC 1500 so same as a Chev C10. Its the studs that the upper A arm/control arm bolt onto. They actually go through the frame from the engine bay. From what i can find online they're 1/2-20 x 3.125". I tried pretty hard to cross reference that with anything else out there and no luck. You cant see it in the pic but the threads on the one are in bad shape.

I'll send you a PM as well. Thanks.
Okay, that'll work. Next time I go, I'll look for it.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Why not just use a grade 8 bolt? You have the size you need. You can access it from the back side. When I upgraded my front A arms to tubular A arms, the kit just came with grade 8 bolts for the new brackets.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Original bolts have a cerration(?) just inside the head to hold them into the frame. Makes it easier to do an alignment when installing the shims, won't let the bolt turn when loosening or tightening the bolt. But @Mr Clean is right, you could use a grade 8 in place, just not as handy for the alignment guy.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Original bolts have a cerration(?) just inside the head to hold them into the frame. Makes it easier to do an alignment when installing the shims, won't let the bolt turn when loosening or tightening the bolt. But @Mr Clean is right, you could use a grade 8 in place, just not as handy for the alignment guy.
I wonder if he knows how much of a pain in the ass it's going to be to change them out? If he doesn't have a motor in the truck it won't be to bad, but the motor mount bracket will still have to be removed. A BFH will have to be used, some curse words, and a air hammer to get that last little bit. I would highly suggest replacing both of them while you have it apart. If you are worried about making your alignment guy mad if you go the grade 8 bolt way, pop a little tack weld on the head to the frame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg