unjunking the quadrajunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wow a little touch are we. He's had some on going carb issues, can we cut him a little slack?

I apologize for the "bad mechanic" comment, but stand by what I said about Holleys and Q-jets.

Guys like Jon at The Carburetor Shop would say it's difficult to make the universal carbs perform as well as Carter, Holley, or Rochester carbs built for a specific engine and transmission combo. For example, there were two different Carter AFB carbs used on a 300hp 327 -- one for manual trans and one for auto trans. And who knows how well those would have worked on a Pontiac, Olds, Ford, etc? Now days we bolt on a universal carb and try to make it work.

Some interesting reading here starting at "Carburetor Selection": http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carbshop_carbs.htm

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I apologize for the "bad mechanic" comment, but stand by what I said about Holleys and Q-jets.

Guys like Jon at The Carburetor Shop would say it's difficult to make the universal carbs perform as well as Carter, Holley, or Rochester carbs built for a specific engine and transmission combo. For example, there were two different Carter AFB carbs used on a 300hp 327 -- one for manual trans and one for auto trans. And who knows how well those would have worked on a Pontiac, Olds, Ford, etc? Now days we bolt on a universal carb and try to make it work.

Some interesting reading here starting at "Carburetor Selection": http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carbshop_carbs.htm
My Pontiac 389 came factory with a Carter AFB Carb. Great Carb. Never had issues with it all. Now my Dodge buddies had Carter Thermoquads on their Dodge 360's and they all said the Thermoquad was crap. Never found out for myself, but the AFB on my Pontiac was fantastic.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

No problem, but for the record I rather like the Q-jet and have been encouraging him to keep it. but I also understand how someone with less experience than you or I might not feel comfortable doing their own rebuild.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My Pontiac 389 came factory with a Carter AFB Carb. Great Carb. Never had issues with it all. Now my Dodge buddies had Carter Thermoquads on their Dodge 360's and they all said the Thermoquad was crap. Never found out for myself, but the AFB on my Pontiac was fantastic.

Yeah, the AFB was a great carb. A loooong time ago I had one on a fairly hot 292 (283 +/.060") that was original equipment on a 300hp/327. That was probably one of the best carbs I ever had. Good thing, too, because I knew very little about carbs back then.:D

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Have to say the title of this thread upsets me. Quadrajunk? Really? It's one of the most versatile carbs ever made. And, "Holleys aren't reliable and not great for the street." Total BS on both counts.

It's the bad mechanic who blames his tools, or in this case, his engine parts.

If you want to start a thread asking for help, how about trying, "I'm having trouble with my carburetor".
If I'm honest it was more of a clickbaity title. I am fully aware the quadrajet is a great carburator when built/tuned right, but I am young and learning to work on cars. Its very hard to find someone who is good with the qjet around here especially with the virus. I was considering getting something else because I figured it would be easier to rebuild with my skill level. I've also never dealt with a holley so all I can really go off of is based on other peoples opinions.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
He's young and doesn't take advice or suggestions well. Add to that he's probably looking to do a click bait thing.
Well I still havent gotten rid of my qjet so I've been listening to some extent :). I actually adjusted the choke and it seemed to get rid of a lot of the problems so it seems it might've been a simple fix. If I can get a good rebuild kit from cliffs high performance, I will probably rebuild it and upgrade the intake manifold to that edelbrock performer that guy had for 60$. Not like I need to drive it anywhere right now so it would certainly be a good time. Even if it takes me a week, I'll hopefully at least have done it right. They also sell a quadrajet rebuild book that I've heard good things about so I should be able to follow the instructions and get it adjusted a little better.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If it’s a spread bore intake, I’d say $60 is a square deal.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Cliff will do you right.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If it’s a spread bore intake, I’d say $60 is a square deal.
Yep it was a spread bore and he said it was only used for about a year. Also like the pun whether it was intended or not [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
wow, a spread bore intake used only one year! that cast iron barely lost any molecules! its almost as good a deal as a low mileage rock.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
wow, a spread bore intake used only one year! that cast iron barely lost any molecules! its almost as good a deal as a low mileage rock.
Except it's low mileage cast aluminum. lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1