Turn signal switch issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Need15

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looking for any insight before i rip column apart and put new turn signal switch in.

So when the key is off but the headlight switch is on if you push the turn signal switch to activate the right side signals it powers up the truck like you had turned the key on but as soon as you push the headlight switch off it turns the truck off. All the wiring is original wiring for 78 pickup. It doesnt do it when you activate the left hand signal only right side.

My first thought was turn signal switch but maybe its headlight switch, whats your guys thoughts?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is this something that just started out of nowhere? Something had to change as those circuits aren't related. That or it needs an exorcism.

Need15

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pulled wiring harness from a donor truck has a holley sniper and dakota digital gauges all that is working fine

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That or it needs an exorcism.
I agree..

check your right turn signal sockets & bulbs. (front, side, and taillight.) Look for bad/wrong bulbs, shorts, and make sure grounds are good. (-my guess is the front right turn light is the problem area.)

The only thing I can think of is that the parking light (BRN-9) is back feeding into right turn signal (DR GRN-19 or DK BLU-15) at a turn signal light. I'm not sure how the flasher would affect it- but in theory it would be back feeding the ign portion of the fuse box.

Edited- to include checking front right turn signal lights also..

Last edited:

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
my guess of the problem area
You must be registered for see images attach