Tuned Port video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Looks good man! Sounds good too!! :cheers:

Thanks! There`s always room for improvement, so when this one blows, I am pondering either an LSx swap, or an updated TD 6.5......I hope they have a duramax 1/2 ton option pretty soon, or else, I`m stuck with the Detroits, but that`s not really a bad thing either!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
So tell us about the TPI upgrade, where did you score the parts from? How much did it set you back? How hard was it to get it installed and running right? Did you run into any snags? Looks like it was polished, looks really good dude.

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'm interested too. I'm going this route with my Suburban, but I'll be running a Corvette LSx PCM flashed with a 2002 Chevy Express bin file, and Vortec distributor. I'll need info like what throttle cable you're using and what if any issues you had with running vac lines and such.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Found a 91 z28 in the bone yard with a rod through the block, so i got the manifold, evap cannister, AIR diverter valve. My 86 already had an EFI ready distributor. All I hade to do, was Splice into my fuel system, and install a walbro gsl392 inline fuel pump, the return line was already there. And the rest is just swapping out the old with the new. the tuned port manifold installation was as easy as replacing manifold gaskets. Camaro harness and ecm wherever you can find room, mine is behind the glove box, and then I installed 3 bus type fuse holders for the fuel pump circuit, and the injectors(2, 1 for each bank) to a key on source.
For California, I had to split the exhaust and install 2 cats, then it runs into a dual 2.25 in/3" out muffler, to a second muffler in the stock location, with factory 86 dual tailpipes.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Very, very nice..!....:High 5: I love the torque the TPI motors make....granted these motors are old-school nowadays, but I have a blast driving my '92 Z28.....:)

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's a real nice conversion there. At first watching the video, I'm thinking start it up already. hahaha, I didn't realize it was already running. Nice. Smooth and Quiet up front. I'm sure you need to elaborate a bit on this convesion. I know several people have suggested they might do a TPI setup, Retro being one of them. I was thinking bucket might have mentioned it too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
GM should have put TPI in the trucks to begin with, it's a great combo. I've thought about doing Crossfire Injection, just to be different.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Crossfire is awesome lol

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I don't hear too much about crossfire anymore, but I`m sure improvements could be made to solve any of the issues that people had with them...the only issue I could see, would be parts availability.
If anybody has any specific questions, please let me know, but EFI swaps like this are as easy as changing your intake manifold, whether its TBI or TPi. There are also single plane intakes from Edelbrock, with injector bosses already machined in so you can use all of the GM electronics, and an LSx throttle body. I scored the manifold, harness and ECM for $300, fuel pump was $120 at the time, Camaro fuel filter was $9. Then there are various fittings, which depends on how you taylor your fuel system.
All the parts on hand, this swap took me a weekend. Keep in mind, My 86 drivers side exhaust manifold was already set up with an o2 sensor. I ran on the single cat exhaust for about 2 years, and had the dual cats installed. The best exhaust combo for me, is 2.25 from the manifolds, to a Magnaflow Y pipe(unless you like it quiet like I do, then use a 14" case Dual in/3" out muffler in place of Y), and a 3" In/Out muffler, which resides at about a 45* angle, pointed up over the axle. I have dual 2" tailpipes, just for the factory look of the original 86.
Most of the square bodies have a fuel return line from the factory, so that is one headache avoided.

Manbearpig,
Yup, That was me! Gave you the lower manifold for the early heads for shipping.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24