"tryin to wake up that 6.2"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Hi yall,got me a 3/4 ton 2wd,GMC,Burb with a 6.2 diesel,and a 700 r4,anywho down to business, call me a dreamer but I am wondering on how to squeeze as much power and save as much diesel out of my 6.2 as possible without rebuilding it,I know about the banks turbo kit and I know that would help but are there other ways as well ?I am a budget minded dude but I don't mind helping my truck out a little I spoil it more than I spoil my girlfriend,anybody got a doghouse that I could rent ?Just kiddin any help would be appreciated,also I am well aware that any changes in gear ratio affect fuel economy so I am sticking in the 3.42 and 3.73 range and no lower or higher I am going to be running a "FF" rear I am trying to get 25 m.p.g. or more and it would be nice cuz I got the big 41 gallon tank hopefully and its 2wd not 4wd, I don't drive like a bat out of hell anyway,I mean its a 130 + hp diesel with 6,000 lbs. to push it ain't goin quick heck I can barely hit 100 mph goin down hill lol.anyway any help would be appreciated thanx in advance yall and keep on truckin.:smoke2::Caffeine:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hi yall,got me a 3/4 ton 2wd,GMC,Burb with a 6.2 diesel,and a 700 r4,anywho down to business, call me a dreamer but I am wondering on how to squeeze as much power and save as much diesel out of my 6.2 as possible without rebuilding it,I know about the banks turbo kit and I know that would help but are there other ways as well ?I am a budget minded dude but I don't mind helping my truck out a little I spoil it more than I spoil my girlfriend,anybody got a doghouse that I could rent ?Just kiddin any help would be appreciated,also I am well aware that any changes in gear ratio affect fuel economy so I am sticking in the 3.42 and 3.73 range and no lower or higher I am going to be running a "FF" rear I am trying to get 25 m.p.g. or more and it would be nice cuz I got the big 41 gallon tank hopefully and its 2wd not 4wd, I don't drive like a bat out of hell anyway,I mean its a 130 + hp diesel with 6,000 lbs. to push it ain't goin quick heck I can barely hit 100 mph goin down hill lol.anyway any help would be appreciated thanx in advance yall and keep on truckin.:smoke2::Caffeine:

well...I would venture that a good porting job on the intake and exhaust side may help a bit, and maybe turning up the pump a little. Honestly, if it runs good, I would leave it alone, and look into gearing. Maybe stick with the 3.42s, and save some pennys for one of the newer transmissions, like the GM 6l80 and controller. It will give you 6 speeds, so the engine can work a little easier.
Other than that, I was working on an idea for grill shutters like on the new RAM, and some Ford vehicles. Before my burb broke down, I was messing with a camaro ECM, that would operate a door lock solenoid to open/close a window blind type setup that used speed and coolant temp to regulate...but I lost interest when my rig died.

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
thans jims I will lok into doing that,I appreciate the advice,I mean the ol diesel runs well as is and gets around ok for what it is so maybe a rebuild could wait, I was also thinkin about throwin a trans. from the trucks with the 8.2 diesels in it considering it is basicly a 7 speed with a 5 speed and a 2 speed rear but I dont think the bell housing would fit.but it might be worth a shot

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
u can use marine injectors.. and put a 93 mechanical injector pump.. but that's about it those motors were built for reliability and fuel mileage not performance, you know what Im going to say next.

just put a cummins in it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes