TrueTrac for rear axle...likes/dislikes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
As stated, looking for everyone's likes/dislikes of the Truetrac set up in a rear axle. This is not for a square body, just big heavy truck, my 05 Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel crew cab. It's factory open diff, so literally sucks in snow. Looking at installing a Truetrac instead of a locker since I tow all sorts of stuff with it. It also may help with my one bald rear tire occurring problem from too much torque/right foot and not enough traction, lol.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
After I put a truetrac in the front axle of my truck a friend/co-worker was interested in how I said how I can't tell it is even there. It "feels" like an open differential.

So he started reading on them and then installed one on the rear axle of his 2001 Silverado 1500. He tows a snowmobile trailer and was sick and tired of getting stuck with one tire in the rear and one tire in the front spinning.

He loves it now. Perfectly quiet, excellent street manners.

Although Eaton says for best performance use conventional oil. He has it in his mind conventional oil is "too thick" in the winter so wants to put synthetic back in it as GM recommended for his open differential.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
A similiar alternative is grizzly locker from yukon that i would recommend, i run it in my dana 60 front on my trail

Locks on wheel speed differences, unlocks on turns. The "wheel speed difference" that i noticed was like, 1/8" of a wheel slip.

Functions like that of a detroit, but isnt harsh like one, doesnt kick like hell when it engages, and you dont have to let off of the gas or stop turning for it to disengage.
Its manners is that of a open differential; its like its not even there.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
H
A similiar alternative is grizzly locker from yukon that i would recommend, i run it in my dana 60 front on my trail

Locks on wheel speed differences, unlocks on turns. The "wheel speed difference" that i noticed was like, 1/8" of a wheel slip.

Functions like that of a detroit, but isnt harsh like one, doesnt kick like hell when it engages, and you dont have to let off of the gas or stop turning for it to disengage.
Its manners is that of a open differential; its like its not even there.
How would that work in the rear of a 2wd daily driver

metal tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
84 & 85
Truck Model
K10 x2
Engine Size
305 x2
I installed Truetrac's in the front & read diffs on my 01 Ram 3500. I do have to add 6-800 lbs between the wheel wells to give the rear tires some weight on them. We don't get much snow in OK, but I do not fear having to drive in it any more. The cummins give the front tires enough weight so they grab just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad