Question for C30 Dually owners.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi, quick question for those of you that have a DRW truck....As I understand it, DRW trucks never came with lockers/ posi, etc in the rear axle due to tire wear concerns. How often or have you experienced any traction issues on soft ground, slippery boat ramps, etc?

I have a '90 CC DRW and am considering adding an Auburn E-Locker to the Dana 70 just in case and wanted to see if its really even necessary. In the past I've always had 4wd to rely on in these situations which probably wasn't that frequent to begin with. I just don't want to be "that guy" at a boat ramp or campground who gets his truck stuck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My '79 hasn't had a front shaft in it for years so I guess it counts as a C30. It's terrible in snow, lol. I really REALLY wish I can find the time to put a locker in it someday.

And also replace the front pinion bearing so I can install the front shaft again, lol.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dually's suck for off road. They basically cut the load of the tire ( traction) footprint in half. Maybe that's why there's not a lot of need for a locker. A locker in a dually on snow or ice would be terrible. Talk about not being able to turn!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Dually's suck for off road. They basically cut the load of the tire ( traction) footprint in half. Maybe that's why there's not a lot of need for a locker. A locker in a dually on snow or ice would be terrible. Talk about not being able to turn!

At least you would be able to move.

I'd guess it wasn't available from the factory due to popping and chirping while maneuvering on dry pavement at slow speeds.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Mine has a version of limited slip and I think it is called Max Traction or something. I looked up the axle number at one point but can't find the link anymore. Mine seems to always be in locked mode and talking to @OldBlueDually I find out that was a common problem. He said his dad is familiar with them from working at the dealership back in the 70's or 80's. He may have some more insight on this setup.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank you all for your replies. My concern is pulling a trailer up a boat ramp, wet campgrounds, getting out of a rut, etc.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thank you all for your replies. My concern is pulling a trailer up a boat ramp, wet campgrounds, getting out of a rut, etc.
With excessive footprint area and 1 wheeler peeler, I think your chances would be about 50% less getting stuck or spinning out in any of those scenarios. Lol.
Seriously you could probably find a particular tread type that made it acceptable in one scenario but then it be worse in another.

But a good posi or locker will help a bunch.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Mine has a version of limited slip and I think it is called Max Traction or something. I looked up the axle number at one point but can't find the link anymore. Mine seems to always be in locked mode and talking to @OldBlueDually I find out that was a common problem. He said his dad is familiar with them from working at the dealership back in the 70's or 80's. He may have some more insight on this setup.
True: he worked on many of these rigs when they were new, and my dad also had a 78 Suburban, Trailering Special, 454 and 2wd. Beautiful rig too, pulled the old Wilderness camper like a **** after he removed smog crap and updated internals on the engine....sorry, I digressed.

His had a limited slip type rearend (added at some point, or stock I am not sure). He fricken hated it, every other turn it seemed to lock up, he'd pull over in a parking lot to back it up while turning to unlock it then we would continue the road trip, same at boat ramps while loading/unloading the fishing boat from the water, a sharp turn and bam she was locked again.

Then the day came my dad yanked the diff cover, pulled the axles to replace seals, threw a few things across the garage and put her back together....problem solved, never locked again.

@Bennyt my dad would probably say don't waste your time. Others may argue that. I would suggest leave as is and see what happens, add if needed.

He said some of the one tons that had that rear that locked (some cams or something would swing outward and lock the rearend...??) customers hated it and he would remove/disable those items somehow and the customers never complained again.

My 76 GMC also doesn't have a locker, I lowered it, and I also plan to pull our camper locally. I just figure, what could possible go wrong :Big Laugh: Get stuck with a camper, that would be a new memory to make!

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I appreciate all the responses.
I think I am going to skip it unless one falls in my lap. I'm not going off-road, just maybe a muddy campground. I'm sure I can get by with just a tow strap. It would take 5-8 AAA pull outs to offset the cost of it at the minimum and if I'm getting stuck that often, I'd be an idiot.

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci
One benefit of open differential is when you’re driving and the rear tire breaks traction, only one tire is going to spin. The other tire will have no power spinning it and will keep its traction helping the truck to drive straight. If you break traction with a locker, both rear tires will spin and there’s nothing keeping your rear end from sliding sideways. If you decide to swap from an open diff I would recommend the Eaton truetrac, not as aggressive as an off-road locker but has great street manners and no more one wheel peel. As for a 2wd truck in the snow, tall skinny m+s tires and a good amount of weight in the bed will help. Some of the dually guys will run one tire per side instead of two if theyre not loaded heavy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84