Truck wont idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bsoninja84

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
250 4.1
84 gmc 1/2 ton inline 6 250
Last week my idle wasnt steady it was kinda going up and down changed the fuel filter checked for vacuum leaks couldnt figure it out, on the way to work the other day it died out when i was getting off the highway it starts right up but i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep the truck on. . . . . Fuel? Air? Any ideas

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Last week my idle wasnt steady it was kinda going up and down changed the fuel filter checked for vacuum leaks couldnt figure it out, on the way to work the other day it died out when i was getting off the highway it starts right up but i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep the truck on. . . . . Fuel? Air? Any ideas

Not air unless you have the stock air cleaner and the filter's really old. Fuel is very likely. Look into the carb and actuate the throttle after you've run it and see if you get two nice squirts down the primaries. Also make sure that fuel sprays as soon as you move the throttle to make sure the accelerator pump is doing its job. If it's not even and responsive when doing this test, that narrows things down. The fuel pump is something good to look at. There's no grand test for it. I just disconnect the line and put it in a bottle to see if it's moving a good amount of fuel. It should fill up a Coke bottle pretty fast. We actually had a guy with a 250 discover that his fuel pump lobe was ground down enough not to push the pump arm down all the way so the truck was being stumbly, but I wouldn't jump to that right off. Have you run it low on fuel lately? Sometimes the strainer sock gets saturated with crud and restricts fuel flow. There's a lot of things to suggest with limited information: strainer sock, fuel pump, carburetor issues, worn spark plugs... I'm just throwing stuff out here. A second set of eyes will give you more suggestions, I'm sure.

Bsoninja84

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
250 4.1
Not air unless you have the stock air cleaner and the filter's really old. Fuel is very likely. Look into the carb and actuate the throttle after you've run it and see if you get two nice squirts down the primaries. Also make sure that fuel sprays as soon as you move the throttle to make sure the accelerator pump is doing its job. If it's not even and responsive when doing this test, that narrows things down. The fuel pump is something good to look at. There's no grand test for it. I just disconnect the line and put it in a bottle to see if it's moving a good amount of fuel. It should fill up a Coke bottle pretty fast. We actually had a guy with a 250 discover that his fuel pump lobe was ground down enough not to push the pump arm down all the way so the truck was being stumbly, but I wouldn't jump to that right off. Have you run it low on fuel lately? Sometimes the strainer sock gets saturated with crud and restricts fuel flow. There's a lot of things to suggest with limited information: strainer sock, fuel pump, carburetor issues, worn spark plugs... I'm just throwing stuff out here. A second set of eyes will give you more suggestions, I'm sure.

Plugs and wires are new i have run it low on fuel i know if i hit the throttle with the truck off i can hear fuel squirt but i dont know if its enough the fuel filter was the first thing i changed when the idle got funny. . . But it made no difference thankyou for the advice i have some things to look at when i get home from work. . . O the tiny sponge filter in the pcv valve was a little saturated with oil due to a small leak in my line to my oil pressure guage, could a plugged pcv make this happen?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Plugs and wires are new i have run it low on fuel i know if i hit the throttle with the truck off i can hear fuel squirt but i dont know if its enough the fuel filter was the first thing i changed when the idle got funny. . . But it made no difference thankyou for the advice i have some things to look at when i get home from work. . . O the tiny sponge filter in the pcv valve was a little saturated with oil due to a small leak in my line to my oil pressure guage, could a plugged pcv make this happen?

Do you have an actual valve or are you talking about the little sponge in the air cleaner? Either way, mine was soaked with oil in my Caprice when I got it. I let it sit in a degreaser and washed it. Good as new. A PCV valve that's sticking open will usually cause a vacuum leak, which you'll see a higher and/or rougher idle. One that's stuck closed will suck oil down into the motor and burn it. If it's old or looks dirty, I'd just replace it. Three dollars at O'Reilly. You can try the rattle test on it. Shake it, and if it doesn't rattle, it's totally gone. If it does, then it may be good, but it's not a totally definitive test. What I do when I check the fuel in the carb is just hover my phone's video camera over the carb and just watch my phone as I'm doing it. I think it's safe to say you've got a fuel problem. I'd double check the timing just to be safe, but I'd say if you're not pinging on acceleration, and it accelerates like it's supposed to, it'll likely be just fine. Oh, almost forgot! You can test to see if the strainer sock got clogged with crap by running a fuel line into a gas jug, hooking it up to the pump, and drawing your fuel from there. I know your issues appear driving down the highway, but you also said that when you start it, it'll stumble and die if you don't hold the pedal You may be able to rule out the sock with this test and avoid fiddling with the tank. I'm thinking it may be the fuel pump, and I'm hoping your camshaft is okay. At the resolution of this, if you find that your camshaft is fine, I'd consider doing a zinc additive in your oil to protect the cam. I've read online several different instances where 250s and 292s have camshaft wear on the fuel pump driving lobe.

spenser21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
a
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

not sure if im to late to the party or not, but I just recently picked up a 74 k10 and was having very similar problem. The truck would start but wouldn't run without feeding it gas pedal. Did a fuel test and there was a good amount of water in the gas tank. After that she ran and would idle but would shut off coming up to stop lights/signs. I got a carb rebuild kit and let everything soak for a couple hours and did some scrubbing and now shes a daily driver. I don't know a lot but this is my story and it worked for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruggedly