truck stopped starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
luis
Truck Year
Truck Model
jimmy
Engine Size
truck was running drove it one day then 3 days later I jumped in and all it does is turn over....so I can see that I am getting gas , checked for spark and have none..plugs and wires are newer brought the coil and modulator in to get check and they told me coil was bad so got and installed new one and still not starting.....any ideas....thanks

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
HEI ignition I guess.

First step - check for voltage at the coil primary.

Without at least 10.5 VDC available to the coil on the low voltage side, it will be unable to generate 25,000 volts on the high voltage (i.e secondary) side. That (25,000) is the minimum voltage required to create a good spark at the plugs.

With the battery fully charged (good battery is a key point - don't overlook it), turn the ignition key to the RUN position.

Go to the distributor and disco the connector that feeds the terminals labeled BAT & TACH. It is the one that comes in from outside the cap and runs back to front.

With the key in RUN, measure the voltage at the lead that goes to the BAT terminal (it is probably a pink wire).

If it shows at least 10.5 volts, the problem is internal to the distributor. If there is no or low voltage, the problem is external - it may be in the ignition switch or associated wiring:

You must be registered for see images attach

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
It's possible the pick-up coil went bad. I've seen one go bad and when it was replaced it started up right away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky