Truck shuts down...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
not sure if I’m in the right forum but I’m pulling into the chic Fila parking lot and the truck shuts down and battery is dead... won’t start back up without a jump. Any ideas?? I mean the truck could run if battery is dead and I don’t think it would just shut down if the alternator was bad... if I’m wrong I’m all ears! 87 350tbi

Well? We're waiting!

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
Well? We're waiting!
Sorry about the late reply. So I ran all new ground cables and cleaned up the connections. Had my alternator tested. It was good. Battery tested super low. Had it charged. With the truck running you could watch the battery drain on the meter. Ran a jumper from the hot stud on the back of the alternator to the hot post on the battery and immediately started charging the battery.

I was thinking it could be the plug on the alternator but it’s putting out 16 volts or amps, whichever it was I read on the meter, out of the plug. I haven’t traced out the wire yet but I’m assuming it runs back to the started and then should come back up to the battery? Not really sure about how it gets back to the battery so it will keep a charge. I left the jumper hooked up for the moment but I really need a larger gauge wire, just a temp. Fix till I get further info of the matter

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

87Hi-v15HND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
So from the hot post on the battery to the post on the alternator there should be a fuse and that’s it? I’m illiterate when it comes to wiring diagrams. Seems simple but I’m not really familiar with it.. also what gauge wire is recommended?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd replace the whole cable. It's not out of the question for those things to degrade over time.

Oh, and @Snoots. I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it; felt I...owed it to them.

Well? We're waiting!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
So from the hot post on the battery to the post on the alternator there should be a fuse and that’s it? I’m illiterate when it comes to wiring diagrams. Seems simple but I’m not really familiar with it.. also what gauge wire is recommended?

It's good practice. A 30AMP fuse will do. 6AWG wire will be good as well.
If you know where you can get welding supplies it's even better to use welding wire.

Just follow each wire from point-to-point. Where they cross, there is no connection.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
[/QUOTE]

Well played sir. Hahaha love that movie!

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305

You must be registered for see images attach

Got my alternator light. Hahaha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC