Truck only starts sometimes (Distributor?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Restoredrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
Hey, so I bought this 86 Scottsdale and for the first couple weeks it ran perfectly, no problems starting, it was great, but recently I haven't been able to get her to start, now there were problems with the alternator and battery but I've fixed those, my fuel line started leaking so I fixed that too, so ive got power, the truck charges and I know the fuel is going into the carb so now I'm looking at the distributor, so I managed to do a little research and found that the ESC doesn't even exist, the wire with the fused link that goes to the computer was not plugged in and the spark plugs were just horrible, so I replaced the spark plugs and plugged in the fused wire which goes to the computer and the truck started up on a dime... at least it did for about 2 hours, I went to start it up again just to see if it would and well, here we are, im not sure what to do at this point, I dont know much about distributors and the previous owner of this truck is not making it any easier for me :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hey, so I bought this 86 Scottsdale and for the first couple weeks it ran perfectly, no problems starting, it was great, but recently I haven't been able to get her to start, now there were problems with the alternator and battery but I've fixed those, my fuel line started leaking so I fixed that too, so ive got power, the truck charges and I know the fuel is going into the carb so now I'm looking at the distributor, so I managed to do a little research and found that the ESC doesn't even exist, the wire with the fused link that goes to the computer was not plugged in and the spark plugs were just horrible, so I replaced the spark plugs and plugged in the fused wire which goes to the computer and the truck started up on a dime... at least it did for about 2 hours, I went to start it up again just to see if it would and well, here we are, im not sure what to do at this point, I dont know much about distributors and the previous owner of this truck is not making it any easier for me :893Chainsaw-Smilie-
Does it have spark while cranking when it doesn’t start?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I could only see the power source slow burning whatever is at the other end.

He plugged in something that had been unplugged - on purpose - then walked away.
I think he's lucky the truck didn't burn down.

If you don't know what you're doin, I would be VERY HESITANT about applying power to things unknown.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I could only see the power source slow burning whatever is at the other end.
Me personally would be ripping that crap off and put in a non ECM controlled HEI distributor. On this old stuff I like to keep it simple. That ESC was crap in 86 and it’s crap now lol

Restoredrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
In response to the fused wire, it isn't a wire connected to any fuses, Idk its probably not what its called thats just what I read it was called. It was one of the wires that goes into the distributor, I'll take a picture when i can

Restoredrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
Me personally would be ripping that crap off and put in a non ECM controlled HEI distributor. On this old stuff I like to keep it simple. That ESC was crap in 86 and it’s crap now lol
Sounds like good advice, also I dont know if it sparks when it isnt starting, is there a way to check with a multi meter / test light?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Sounds like good advice, also I dont know if it sparks when it isnt starting, is there a way to check with a multi meter / test light?
Just pull a plug and put the wire back on and rest it on the engine so the plug is touching metal. Have some one crank it over and you watch for spark.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Was this originally a CA truck with an E4ME carb, an ECM, and all that, or is it a 49 state truck with just the ESC module and a regular carb?

Restoredrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 v8
Was this originally a CA truck with an E4ME carb, an ECM, and all that, or is it a 49 state truck with just the ESC module and a regular carb?
It's just a 49 state truck with the ESC module and regular cab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue