Truck Dies when put in reverse.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
need help. 1987 Chevy 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive, 350 tbi, 700r tranmission. dies when put in reverse.

Last edited by a moderator:

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
need help. 1987 Chevy 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive, 350 tbi, 700r tranmission. dies when put in reverse.

does it die only in reverse or foward gears too?

mike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
to be continued

Thank you for those replies! yes it only dies in reverse! Yes it has been checked for vacum leak(s). I took it to a very good shop, the owner has just been tinkering with on his free time. He has also had his onther mechanics look at it . So far nothing, the latest tthinking is the torque converter.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Didn't give us much time to assist you before dropping it off at a shop :/

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Thank you for those replies! yes it only dies in reverse! Yes it has been checked for vacum leak(s). I took it to a very good shop, the owner has just been tinkering with on his free time. He has also had his onther mechanics look at it . So far nothing, the latest tthinking is the torque converter.

i was going lean towards the torque converter, any strange noises when you put it in reverse that you dont normally hear from a square? from my experience with torque converters going out and locking up they will kill the truck instantly and and you will feel the truck try to move backward or forwards. but i dont think it would do it just in reverse and not in any forward gears, thats strange, do you get any movement out of the truck before it completely dies?

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Didn't give us much time to assist you before dropping it off at a shop :/

i agree but i dont think its going to be a quick and easy fix, a good mechanic would normally start with easy fixes and then work he way up to the more serious problems and if they havent found yet and there has been multiple mechanics look at it and they are experienced with old squares they would of got any of the quick and easys that would of been wrong, oh damn i forgot it was a 4x4 have your tried putting the transfer case in neutral and putting it in reverse? C4 and HR will be on later and they can prolly give you better advise

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Try putting it in Lo-1 (1st gear) and see if it dies. If so, there isn't enough clearance in the 1st/reverse clutch pack. Beyond that you need a more experienced trans guy to help diagnose this lol.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Try putting it in Lo-1 (1st gear) and see if it dies. If so, there isn't enough clearance in the 1st/reverse clutch pack. Beyond that you need a more experienced trans guy to help diagnose this lol.

C4 correct me if im wrong but in a 700R transmission 1st/reverse are on the outside of the shell in the transmisson and are direct drive, if so then it should die in low and reverse

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Not sure about 700R4, I think it is all the way in the rear of the trans, behind the sunshell.

mike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
thanks for the response

i was going lean towards the torque converter, any strange noises when you put it in reverse that you dont normally hear from a square? from my experience with torque converters going out and locking up they will kill the truck instantly and and you will feel the truck try to move backward or forwards. but i dont think it would do it just in reverse and not in any forward gears, thats strange, do you get any movement out of the truck before it completely dies?

No strange noises! The truck will move it does not die. A friend says it sounds electrical like a short.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
No strange noises! The truck will move it does not die. A friend says it sounds electrical like a short.

The only thing that would short in reverse is the reverse lights.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
The only thing that would short in reverse is the reverse lights.

im not aware of anything that would short out that would kill the ignition like that if thats what is causing his problem :wtf2:

mike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
my truck is fixed!! bad ecm and prom . installed a use ecm and prom truck runs great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising