troubles with a swapped 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diesel_Doc

Reaction score
First Name
clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hey everyone, so i just bought myself a 87 1/2 ton, and its not shifting right. i suspect it may need a torque converter but id like an opinion from the pros first. The kid i bought this truck off of replaced the TH350 with a 700r4. when you put the truck in drive, it jumps pretty hard into gear most of the time. it shifts nicely into 2nd, but in 3rd gear the engine bogs down like its shifting too early. does this sound like maybe the torque converter is bad or maybe this converter has the wrong stall speed? Ive never really played with transmissions before so im hoping to learn here. :shrug:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd look at the TV cable adjustment first, which is the cable that goes from the TBI throttle arm to the transmission. Make sure that it's there first of all. Make sure that it's not frayed. And see if it needs to be adjusted. The throttle should be open with the cable adjusted as tightly as possible. If the shift feel is too aggressive, you can back off until it feels better. Here's a thread that talks about it some.
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4833

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI