tripped per-portioning valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys i ran all new brake lines on my 86 k20 and i am not getting fluid to the rear. I was told that my perportioning valve was tripped. How to i untrip it i guess so i get fluid to the rear.

I havnt messed with one of them before so im sorry for the stupid question

Thanks

Liam

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
On the left side of it you should see a rubber cap. Press it in there am it should reset. It should go pretty easy but sometimes you gotta bump it with a hammer....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The prop valve has a button of some sort on the end of it IIRC. Push it or pull it, I don't really remember, but mess with that and let it gravity bleed for a little bit. Then try bleeding normally.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Here is the "by the book" procedure:

Test/Reset Combination/Proportioning Valve:

Use a test light by attaching a clip to a positive contact on the vehicle and touch the point of the tester to the electrical connection of the combination valve. If the the light does not come on, the valve system is operating correctly and no further testing is required.

If the light does come on, this indicates that the pressure differential valve is stuck in the front or rear position.

Bleed the brake system to determine if the front or rear lines are blocked off. Set up one front wheel and one rear wheel for bleeding at the same time. Crack both bleeder screws and gently pump the pedal a few times.

The blocked side will trickle fluid out when the bleeder screw is cracked and the pedal pressed. An unblocked line will squirt fluid out the bleeder.

The lines that are clear must be left open and the blocked lines should have the bleeder screws tight to cause pressure to build up on that side. Be sure to use the standard bleeding procedures to prevent air from entering the system.

Slowly press the pedal with steady pressure a number of times until the light goes out; this will center the differential valve.

You may also hear a pop come from the proportioning valve. This is the metering valve returning to its equalized position. When the light goes out, close the bleeder screw. (See fig. below)

You must be registered for see images attach

Having said all that - I can usually get the piston to recenter (and put out the light) by just slamming on the brakes a few times. Go forward and slam, then go in reverse and slam. It usually shifts the piston.

Make sure your parking brake isn't engaged - done that a few times.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
thanks guys i will give this a try since a new one is allot!

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
Here is the "by the book" procedure:

Test/Reset Combination/Proportioning Valve:

Use a test light by attaching a clip to a positive contact on the vehicle and touch the point of the tester to the electrical connection of the combination valve. If the the light does not come on, the valve system is operating correctly and no further testing is required.

If the light does come on, this indicates that the pressure differential valve is stuck in the front or rear position.

Bleed the brake system to determine if the front or rear lines are blocked off. Set up one front wheel and one rear wheel for bleeding at the same time. Crack both bleeder screws and gently pump the pedal a few times.

The blocked side will trickle fluid out when the bleeder screw is cracked and the pedal pressed. An unblocked line will squirt fluid out the bleeder.

The lines that are clear must be left open and the blocked lines should have the bleeder screws tight to cause pressure to build up on that side. Be sure to use the standard bleeding procedures to prevent air from entering the system.

Slowly press the pedal with steady pressure a number of times until the light goes out; this will center the differential valve.

You may also hear a pop come from the proportioning valve. This is the metering valve returning to its equalized position. When the light goes out, close the bleeder screw. (See fig. below)

You must be registered for see images attach

Having said all that - I can usually get the piston to recenter (and put out the light) by just slamming on the brakes a few times. Go forward and slam, then go in reverse and slam. It usually shifts the piston.

Make sure your parking brake isn't engaged - done that a few times.

yea,, that will work,, but i have found that removing the "switch" in the middle of the valve, "the one ya connect the test light to", press the peddle a few times and screw it back in is easier and faster.......

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
By ""switch" in the middle of the valve", you mean the grey thing at the top/center?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckboy_17