Trim Removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Alright, guys.. Here's the problem..

I've got the 73-80 side and tailgate trim on my 78 K10. The tailgate band was simple enough, then the band underneath the back window was simple enough, as well. My problem is those damn side trim with the glue and clips and all that non-sense. Any tips on getting those bad boys off?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The cab wrap arounds (the ones that complete the under-sliding window trim) are held on by studs. There are clips on the studs that are accessed from inside. Remove the rear pillar moulding and reach up into the false wall - you'll feel them.

The bed wrap arounds (that join the tailgate trim cross piece to the bed moulding) have little studs and nuts. The nuts can be accessed by removing the tail light assembly. They will be staring right at you.

The long mouldings that run the length of the bed are just glued on. Start at one end with a putty knife and use WD-40 to loosen the adhesive - pull it off as the glue lets go.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
The long moldings are what I needed. Putty knife + WD-40, 10-4. Appreciate it, man. I'm guessing it's probably best to start at the end with the screw..

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Work from both ends - gives the WD-40 twice the time to work. BTW - acetone works quicker but it will dull any paint it touches.

Also, if you have a heat gun, this is a good time to use it. The adhesive will let go much faster with some heat.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
I reckon I better get to doing this when the weather is nice and warm out, then. :p As for the acetone idea, I plan on primering the truck to get it ready for painting, so I don't suppose it'll hurt much.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The short lower pieces have a nut on the end that you get from the wheelwell. Also there is the occasional snap-type clip that pops loose out of the sheetmetel, with care. The front fender trim seems like its always held on with nuts from the backside, but my '77 has the snap-type clips.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub