Transmission lowering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I think a lot of guys forget about the fact that the front drive shaft isn't normally spinning on anything made after 1981 (well, shouldn't be unless you have decided to use an unconverted np203). Driveshaft balance does matter but on the front you won't normally be going as fast as highway speeds (unless you are hellbent on getting somewhere I guess). You have to figure if you are bogging deep in 4 high and spinning the wheels to clear mud the last thing you'll notice is a tiny vibration in the front driveshaft with a Cardigan joint in it, especially compared to the copious amounts of mud throwing the balance off on your wheels and tires, lol.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Rpcraft. Agreed 100%

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I was thinking it sounds like someone was trying to correct the pinion angle or something like that.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Dang it, I just realized I didn't come back to this.

I did end up taking out the spacers and putting them back in OEM location. I don't notice any differences.

When I was doing research on this I found something that I didn't see often talked about. Lots of people were talking about issues with their front Driveline binding and the consensus seemed to be well some do and some don't. What I found was the manuals with the short front shaft get out of shape way quicker than a square with a 700R4 and is longer so the angle of the front driveline doesn't change as much. Also a lot of people recommending getting a longer driveline if it was too short but didn't see anybody recommending to go with a longer stock length shaft. There's probably even slight differences in length depending upon the transfer case too. IDK, food for thought for somebody.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes, typically the later round pattern stuff tends to have longer shafts. Most, if not all of the 208 and 241 combos actually use the same front shaft. But they are much too long iirc to be used as a slightly longer replacement shaft in an earlier rig that's been lifted a common amount. That wouldn't change the angles anyway, just the amount of available slip. I think the suggestion of replacing the too short shaft is focused on a new one, as in with higher end yokes that can support more angle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbcasterlin