Transmission bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy murf

Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v8
SO im replacing my transmission in my 1986 4x4 v8, 700 r4 transmission and i have ran into a problem. i got the 4 bottom bolts which connect the transmission to the motor but i cant get the higher two bolts. So does anyone haveany suggestions on how to get these? and tricks or anything please help and thank you all!

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
long extensions and flexible sockets. Or you can usually use a wrench and come in from the top from the engine compartment

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yep like he says;

Option 1 - make up like 2.5' to 3 foot long extension and come in from way back. To get the RH one, you have to go over the top and along side the x-fer case. No u-joint needed if you get the ratchet end up real high - almost hitting the bottom of the cab:

You must be registered for see images attach

LH side is even easier, a straight in shot alongside the transmission- again keep the line of the extension up high - no universals:

Or option 2:

Reach down in the gap between the cab firewall and the bell housing and take the bolts up with a ratchet head wrench:

Remember the torque spec on those bolts is only 32 ft-lbs - you don't need to go Hercules on them.

chevy murf

Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v8
thank you i got a really long extension AND a buddy and we were able to get them off and the transmission thank you all

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67