Transfer case fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Anybody running type f in a 208? I ask because thats all I run in GM automatics. They shift so much better.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Never tried it. But now that you bring it up, I do recall my older brother mentioning running it in the powerglide on his '55 chevy when he had it. Something about the newer dextron fluids wouldn't quit leaking around the seals, but the type f wouldn't leak. Dunno, it's been a while. I've never messed with type f myself, is it a viscosity difference, or just a formulation difference?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Type f doesn't have ,probably wrong terminology but , a buffering agent dextron has. It gives the trannys smoother transitions when shifting. Ford used dextron in the lincolns to soften shift due to thief luxury clientele. It's kind of old school and way cheaper then trick shift from B&M. When you can find type f that is. When I see it I stock pile it. I just figure the transfer case doesn't have clutches so why have unnecessary crap in there to leave deposits.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Type f doesn't have ,probably wrong terminology but , a buffering agent dextron has. It gives the trannys smoother transitions when shifting. Ford used dextron in the lincolns to soften shift due to thief luxury clientele. It's kind of old school and way cheaper then trick shift from B&M. When you can find type f that is. When I see it I stock pile it. I just figure the transfer case doesn't have clutches so why have unnecessary crap in there to leave deposits.
It's actually an anti-foaming agent and it does cushion the shifts, many moons ago I knew a guy that worked at B&M and he told me that all that Trick Shift was is just Type F, all I ever use is Type F in a fresh tranny and converter. BTW, WalMart sells Type F that's where I get mine.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
It's actually an anti-foaming agent and it does cushion the shifts, many moons ago I knew a guy that worked at B&M and he told me that all that Trick Shift was is just Type F, all I ever use is Type F in a fresh tranny and converter. BTW, WalMart sells Type F that's where I get mine.

Lol me too. They usually don't have a lot of it so I grab what they have.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Lol me too. They usually don't have a lot of it so I grab what they have.
Yeah, they don't stock as much as they should, it is used more than they think, the spot is always almost empty every time I go in there, gonna have to do some research and see if I can get it in bulk somewhere at a decent price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76