Trans Mount Spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On the right side, its a common bolt and nut. On the left side, it has longer bolts with these spacers. Is this OE?

I see similar spacers on the steering box, so maybe there's a reason for them. Dunno.

You must be registered for see images attach

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The spacers are oem, the pic you supplied is the correct way to mount them, and they should be on both sides.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It has to do with torque yield or stretch. It helps the bolt stay torqued better than if the spacers were not present, iirc.

my CM is below the frame just like the picture, but my spacers are above the c-channel, fwiw. Lowest to highest is: bolt head, CM, frame, spacer, then nut...

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Makes sense but geezus. This is the opposite side. No idea where to find these things now. I swear this truck was built or fked with on $1/beer nite.

Thanks fellas.

You must be registered for see images attach

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok - been several months since I disassembled this thing and was going by pics of what to locate / do next. I do have all the spacers - ones on the left side were below the bottom of the frame; ones on the right side were above (inside) the bottom of the frame.

So, if there's a logical reason to that, I'll put them back the same way.

Thanks again.

FWIW.....the nuts on this trans mount are copper too. When I disassembled the straps for the fuel tanks, there were four 7/16" nuts.....and one of them was copper too. WTF?

Last edited:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It has to do with torque yield or stretch. It helps the bolt stay torqued better than if the spacers were not present, iirc.

my CM is below the frame just like the picture, but my spacers are above the c-channel, fwiw. Lowest to highest is: bolt head, CM, frame, spacer, then nut...

So the bolt goes in from the bottom with the nut on top? btw...whats a CM? Washer?

THX

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
So the bolt goes in from the bottom with the nut on top? btw...whats a CM? Washer?

THX
CM-crossmember

Top to bottom

Flange nut
Spacer
Truck’s frame
Crossmember
Flange bolt

I guess the direction of the bolt doesn’t matter too much, but I have to use a tapered punch as a hole alignment tool when installing the CM. It’s easiest to slip it in from the bottom once you get it aligned.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I feel like this topic has been debated forever. I've always seen it like this, from bottom to top

Nut/bolt
Spacer
Crossmember
Frame
Washer
Nut/bolt

Grain of salt.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is there a reason they used a copper nut? I ask only because BMW used copper nuts on their manifolds - worked like a lock nut only wasn't so hard to go on and would never seize/rust. I think after they were on-off a couple times, they were kind of done.

I have new stainless bolts for this mount - also picked up a stainless lock nut in case the copper ones are no good.

Thanks fellas - stupid questions, I know, but the devil's in the details.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I feel like this topic has been debated forever. I've always seen it like this, from bottom to top

Nut/bolt
Spacer
Crossmember
Frame
Washer
Nut/bolt

Grain of salt.
I think it depends on the CM. He looks like he has the 81up flat one.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Is there a reason they used a copper nut? I ask only because BMW used copper nuts on their manifolds - worked like a lock nut only wasn't so hard to go on and would never seize/rust. I think after they were on-off a couple times, they were kind of done.

I have new stainless bolts for this mount - also picked up a stainless lock nut in case the copper ones are no good.

Thanks fellas - stupid questions, I know, but the devil's in the details.
The copper nut is not factory and probably not proper for the application, I opt to upgrade to grade eights just because of what components it's mounting.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I think it depends on the CM. He looks like he has the 81up flat one.
Hmmm this may be true. I've just always seen it the way I explained and I haven't seen thousands of these trucks but multiple hundreds. But there's always been people messing with things and what not in these 40 year old trucks.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Hmmm this may be true. I've just always seen it the way I explained and I haven't seen thousands of these trucks but multiple hundreds. But there's always been people messing with things and what not in these 40 year old trucks.
Might also depend on your trans mount. My original combo was a 208/400 with the high pedestal adapter. It would hit the floor if the crossmember was above the frame.

All cucvs are this way...81-84 flat member under the frame.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Might also depend on your trans mount. My original combo was a 208/400 with the high pedestal adapter. It would hit the floor if the crossmember was above the frame.

All cucvs are this way...81-84 flat member under the frame.
Don't know if I worded it wrong but I meant the crossmember is always on the bottom of the frame. I was trying to explain the order, like exactly how it looks in the OP's original pic.

This is true, I've personally never seen a truck with crossmember mounted on top of the bottom frame rail, so I can't speak on that, but I believe you. I just didn't think that would be an issue as it would be less than a 1/2 inch difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus