Traction bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverback85

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So going to post this in performance as well but kind of a question for both. Have an 85 3/4 ton with a built 468 and used to have a semi floating 14 bolt with an Auburn posi but my heavy right foot and love of lighting the tires up for a crowd killed it off. I swapped to a Full floating 14 bolt and installed a Yukon grizzly locker in the factory open diff. So on to my question the truck never had any wheel hop prior to the switch in rear ends. After swapping when I smoke them it starts to hop fairly bad. Pinion angle seems fine so I’m guessing just when it starts to try and hook it is hopping where it can’t slip any more with the locker. I’ve read traction bars will help eliminate this but can’t find much on them for these trucks. Only set I’ve found is the ladder bars tough country makes and I just don’t like the looks of the ladder bars I like the ones that look almost like a big top link for a tractor. So any ideas on where to find any or what anyone has done to help this in the past? Has anyone built a set thereself? Thanks and sorry for the long read!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is the truck a 2wd or 4x4?

There's several different types of traction bars. Basic "slapper" bars, link-type bars for below or above the spring, the long ladder type and other variations of each style. There's also the "hop shock" route that you can try. I think Rough Country might still offer those?

Silverback85

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Truck is 4x4. Don’t guess I have seen a hop shock before.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Are you spinning traction tires on your 4x4 or all season type tires? I can see where traction tires might get hoppy vs a "smoother" tread.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Here's just a few options that are available

Silverback85

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
They are 33” bfg all terrain ko2’s and ok thanks I will look into those

Silverback85

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Really like the first tuff country option with the bars mounting top of the spring and to the hanger where they won’t be really seen hanging out from under the truck, my next question is do you think these will help or am I wasting money?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Really like the first tuff country option with the bars mounting top of the spring and to the hanger where they won’t be really seen hanging out from under the truck, my next question is do you think these will help or am I wasting money?

If I were in your shoes, those Tuff Country bars would be the ones I try out first.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
ORD has a traction bar setup. The one I'm going with, some assembly required.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Let's please verify that all mounting points between differentials are the same. How did the "new one" bolt in? Easily or didja have to convince it?
How far engaged is the driveshaft to the pinion? Not the same between rears, no?
Spring perches?
Driveshaft out of phase?

I would look over your existing components prior to buying more things.

Bet you stare at the problem.

Plus there arent any pix.
Makes it yard to fix

on the internet.

Silverback85

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok I will look those up as well, and Yea everything mounted up the same and easy to bolt up. Engagement all looks good, driveshaft isn’t bottomed out in transfer case either. I will try and get some pics later,everything is on the up and up normal driving whether your getting on it or whatever no vibrations or anything strange just hops when you start spinning them. Not constant either just at the start or as your coming out of it and it’s starting to hook. Will give everything another once over to make sure I’m not missing something dumb

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
My 14BFF with a grizzly locker does the same thing. It only happens at the start and end transition times like you stated. I've been messing with a bunch of stuff and changing things around, but traction bars were on my list as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL