Toggle Switch Mounting Locations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Hi Guys,
I've got a couple of toggle switches for additional lights on my roll bar. A few years ago I drilled a hole in the lower dash panel, left of the steering column on my '77 K20 but it's very low to reach and very inconvenient. Now I need to add another switch but I'd rather relocate both to a totally different position that's easier to see and reach.
I know this just sounds stupid, but it's only two simple toggle switches and I can't seem to find a clean, easy spot on the upper area of the dash! Ugh! I would even consider an overhead set up if anyone has a good idea for that.
Your thoughts?
As usual, I appreciate any and all input.
Cheers, Greg
:cheers:

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I made a little switch plate out of agalvanized flashing scrap enough to fit several switches into my ash tray.

I also utilized a blank plastic plate near my light switch for my black out switches because they just happened to reach that area without modifying the factory harness.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I like mounting stuff to the ledge on the cluster bezel.

In the 80's, stuff can mount at the mid point:

For the 70's bezel, stuff has to mount lower:

But either way, the screw holes are not noticeable if the aftermarket stuff is ever removed.

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Thanks guys. I would totally use the space next to the headlamp switch or the cubby hole above the heater controls but my truck has A/C so I have a vents in both those spots.
The cluster ledge would be great too, but mine's too old for that (1977). Maybe the lower edge of the bezel.
I've seen a few pics of the ashtray being used as well Frankenchevy. Pretty innovative. Only trouble i, I'm old fashioned, I still use mine. ;)

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I need to figure something out too. I need to mount my tow/haul button, rear bumper light switch, horn toggle, and probably a front light bar toggle switch at least. I've been trying to find a spot for all of it, but I'll probably end up mounting most of the switches in the ashtray hole and only the tow/haul button near the cluster.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Last edited:

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
How about steering wheel switches like later model trucks use?

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Interesting idea Poppy but I don't know how I'd adapt them to my factory steering wheel.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@GregL,

I'm utterly stunned over your dash!! I was an aircraft mechanic for some years working for the airlines. I put some of what I had learned into my gauge layout but just utilized what I had. Of course I didn't ghave access to working gauges because we reserviced everything we scraped out of other planes we bought for spares. And you other guys are just acting like you see this all the time. No remarks about this work of genius or nothing!

1. Where the heck did you get all those gauges?
2. How did you know how to wire all that stuff up?
3. Are you a former member of the U.S. Air force?
4. Do they work?
I want a schematic so I can do mine like that! Ha, ha, just joking.

Here, I'll throw mine in!
If you have an A/C vent you can spare, you see how I used the one in the lower left for my gauge light switches.
A little better view.

I want to know what all all these gauges go to. I do have a bunch more to put in but don't have the space. I look to semi-tractor dashes for inspiration, sorta. They have differential temperature gauges, and diff. fluid temp. of course, intake manifold temp gauges. and all sorts of blower pressure and air temp gauges and stuff like that I don't need.

BUT MAN!!!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@GregL,

I had forgot about this one, but I was hanging onto a G force gauge I had gotten hold of to put in my truck one of these days, but I sold it to a pilot for his plane some years ago. I was going to use it to show acceleration in a hard launch drag racing so I could see actually how much it was. Like does anyone really know? Probably not, in "G's". That would be interesting wouldn't it?

GregL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Hah! Thanks Raider, but that isn't my dash work. It was a pic in my cache a buddy sent me of another guy's 1967 Corvette. Don't know what he was thinking but yes, probably a former pilot!

By the way, your dash looks great!

I decided to go this route with my toggle switches. Got a piece of angle aluminum, cut it down to 3 inches, spray matched it to my interior color, ran the wiring up the A pillar and drilled a hole through the upper windshield trim. Not really a factory look but completely unobtrusive, out of the way and easy to see/reach when needed.
Cheers, Greg
:happy160:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84