To PCV or not to PCV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eyezy

Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Stepside
Engine Size
Hi I have a 78 C10 running a 350 with headers a new Holley Vac Sec 650 4 Bbl with a Turbo 400 & a F@$rd 9 inch. It's staring and running sweet as the plugs look good - However I am wondering if it should be running a Pcv valve. Currently it has a breather on each rocker cover. If I do need to fit one I'm also wondering does it affect the mixture ?
The saying if it ain't broke don't fix it springs to mind at the moment. What do you guys think ?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would be running it.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Positive crankcase ventilation... YES you should.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Its pretty much a must! Just run a 90 elbow and 3/8 inch fuel line, in place of one of the breathers, over to the base plate on your carb. It just runs off manifold vacuum below the throttle plates. It wont affect anything with carb tune.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Its pretty much a must! Just run a 90 elbow and 3/8 inch fuel line, in place of one of the breathers, over to the base plate on your carb. It just runs off manifold vacuum below the throttle plates. It wont affect anything with carb tune.

Does the other breather need to be removed and a sealed cap installed ? ? ?
Just wondering.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just wondering.

A breather is perfectly fine.

Think of a pcv system as a air circulation system for your engine. It helps remove gases amongst other things from the engine and without this.. bad things can happen.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I would definitely put one on.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Just wondering.

NO you need clean filtered air in one side and vacuum from the manifold pulls it through the crank case to the other side which is then sucked into the intake and burnt through he combustion chamber and out the exhaust.

PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation

So you can leave the little filter breather on one side or instead run an elbow and hose to a fitting on the clean side of your air cleaner from the location of the filter breather.

If you use the filter breather they do need to be changed as part of regular maintenance if you run a hose and fittings to the air cleaner when you change your air filter you are in effect changing the filter for your case ventilation as well, as the air cleaner now serves the purpose of the filter breather.

I like the air cleaner set up as there is less likelihood of contaminants entering the crankcase.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
AAAAHHHHHH YESSSSssss, You done awokened a sleeping brain cell, Now I remember changing them little filters.
YES on moving the hose to within the engines air filter, no need for that little filter inside the air cleaners housing then.
If there was any blowby from the cylinders that little filter/breather would oil up the air filter.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Huh I have a pcv on both valve covers with a t going in to carb base...so its just sucking engine gasses no clean air going in... also what do you guys think of oil catch cans...usefull yes..no..

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
AAAAHHHHHH YESSSSssss, You done awokened a sleeping brain cell, Now I remember changing them little filters.
YES on moving the hose to within the engines air filter, no need for that little filter inside the air cleaners housing then.
If there was any blowby from the cylinders that little filter/breather would oil up the air filter.

Yep you got it. The Edelbrock chrome air cleaners come with a knock out and a cast fitting that bolts onto the bottom filter housing. It works really good.

Then you just need a 3/4 inch 90 fitting to go in the valve cover and chunk of 3/4 heater hose to connect the 2

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Huh I have a pcv on both valve covers with a t going in to carb base...so its just sucking engine gasses no clean air going in... also what do you guys think of oil catch cans...usefull yes..no..

SO you are not venting the crankcase with that set up. You need fresh filtered air to go in one side and the pcv valve on the other routed to the carb base.

Im not sure what an oil catch can is?

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Ok ill change that so it gets fresh air in one side and pcv on other side..oil catch cans trap oil in the gasses so the oil dosent go in to carb and dirty it up..

Attachments

• 20080212164743-pvc_catchcan0.jpg
    20080212164743-pvc_catchcan0.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 76

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you need a catch can on a stock vehicle you have MUCH MUCH larger issues.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members