Timing Confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billy Balls

Reaction score
First Name
Dusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I have a 83 GMC Sierra with the 5.7. I pulled distributor cap to replace rotor and cap. Rotor is pointing towards the #8 cylinder and not the #1. Truck runs but it’s got rough idle. I thought if rotor does not point to #1 then truck shouldn’t start. I’m not sure if I should reset distributor or what to do next but truck is running rough. Appreciate any advice.

You must be registered for see images attach

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
The rotor can point in any direction depending on where it was when the engine was shut off, as the distributor rotates with the rest of the engine. It won't magically go back to the same spot every time you turn the truck off. The only time it matters is when you are initially putting the thing together or setting timing, etc.

Oh and welcome to GMSB by the way! Any more pics of your truck?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Can’t see all the wires, but my money is on wrong firing order, wire not pressed onto plug all the way or fault in new wire. Did you ohm out your new wires? I’ve gotten a new set with one that was bad, but it’s not likely.

Edit: 18436572 Clockwise

Billy Balls

Reaction score
First Name
Dusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
RecklessWOT, Gotcha, I thought it always went back lol. Learn something everyday.

Billy Balls

Reaction score
First Name
Dusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Frankenchevy, I triple checked firing order and it is correct but I did not ohm the wires. I’m gonna check them though. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06