Timing chain problem help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sebe4848

Reaction score
First Name
sebastian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Alright fellas, so this morning I went to start my 86 silverado c10 short wheel base and it attempted to turn over, but made a sound that sounded much like a chain being scraped against cement. It got it started for a short period of time and then it just shut right off. After a couple more tries I noticed that white smoke was coming from my carburetor, not a lot, but enough for me to notice it under the air intake. I have an edelbrock carb if that helps. Could this problem be that the timing chain fell off of the teeth? If so, could anybody tell me how to replace the timing chain? I have never done a timing chain before so if you could please provide detailed instructions and pictures if possible. Thank you, any and all help is welcome.

texnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A timing chain is too tight in the cover for it to just fall off unless broken.

To replace a timing chain..

1. Remove fan belt
2. Remove fan from water pump
3. Remove water pump
4. Remove harmonic balancer
5. Drain oil and remove oil pan
6. Remove timing cover
7. Turn engine over so marks on crankshaft and camshaft sprockets are lined up
8. Remove camshaft sprocket and chain

Reverse above to install.

However, before you do all that you should do some checking to make sure it is a chain problem. Set #1 cylinder to be at TDC for compression. Remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor is pointed to #1. Rotate the engine and see if rotor cap rotates and returns to #1 when you are #1 TDC.

sebe4848

Reaction score
First Name
sebastian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Now that sounds intense. I am going to double check my starter first because I noticed the solenoid is going bad on it, so hopefully this is the cause of my issues. Thank you for your help either way

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Just be aware that if you do replace the timing chain, when the cam sprocket dot is at 6 o'clock and the crankshaft sprocket dot is at 12 o'clock, #6 is at TDC of the compression stroke, not #1. To get #1 at TDC of the compression stroke you need to rotate the engine until both said dots are in the 12 o'clock position. And use thread lock on the bolts, I think it's the red kind for the cam sprocket bolts.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Now that sounds intense. I am going to double check my starter first because I noticed the solenoid is going bad on it, so hopefully this is the cause of my issues. Thank you for your help either way

Not intense, just takes a little time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay