Timing a 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Thanks for the info guys. Bought some new vacuum lines and spark plugs, but it got too cold out.

I did buy a new carb gasket and wanted to address this first considering all 4 sides of the intake manifold; where the carburetor base meets the intake, has tarnish running down. As soon as I stuck my socket on the carburetor bolts, I knew I had a problem. All 4 bolts were loose, the front 2 were no more than finger tight. I tightened them all down and took it for a spin, didn’t bother hooking a vacuum gauge up, too cold outside today. Runs a little smoother I suppose. I couldn’t get it to kick down before, now it does. Still hard to get it to kick down as it always has been. Oh well.

elevation is 1,000 ish.
New vacuum hoses all around are cheap and easy. Same with carb plugs. I'd do that and then let it idle and spray carb spray around the base of the carb and any of the fittings or carb plugs. If it changes the idle temporarily, you have a leak there.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
New vacuum hoses all around are cheap and easy. Same with carb plugs. I'd do that and then let it idle and spray carb spray around the base of the carb and any of the fittings or carb plugs. If it changes the idle temporarily, you have a leak there.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Good idea, it runs pretty well now. I will do that the next time I tinker with it. Thank you!

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Just an update. Between the leaking carb gasket, raising the idle a tad, new spark plugs, and tuning the a/f mixture screws on the quad, it steadied out and raised a little bit. I have not hooked the gauge up between today and when I timed the engine (when I made the thread), so I do not know which of the 4 things above that changed it.
You must be registered for see images attach

That’s good enough for me! Thanks for the help guys.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Just an update. Between the leaking carb gasket, raising the idle a tad, new spark plugs, and tuning the a/f mixture screws on the quad, it steadied out and raised a little bit. I have not hooked the gauge up between today and when I timed the engine (when I made the thread), so I do not know which of the 4 things above that changed it.
You must be registered for see images attach

That’s good enough for me! Thanks for the help guys.

Nice gauge!

Mine does not have the pretty Christmas colors.

:)

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
What did you wind up with for base timing?

I wound up at 9 BTDC- may have run slightly better at 10, but I was getting a little WOT clatter at higher speeds ( say 65 - 70ish after a 2 - 3 upshift.

79dentside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic
Engine Size
What did you wind up with for base timing?

I wound up at 9 BTDC- may have run slightly better at 10, but I was getting a little WOT clatter at higher speeds ( say 65 - 70ish after a 2 - 3 upshift.

I haven’t even hooked a timing light to it yet. I should, I just know it runs good where it’s at. Might be good for me to know it, but on my old 305, it took 15 degrees initial timing to get it to the ‘Normal’ range of vacuum.... it had a little cam in it with some unknown internals, but my guess is someone messed something up causing a need for so much initial timing.

Moral of the story, I just shoot for good vacuum because the 8 degrees initial I had it at made it run like junk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell