tie rod question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

datto62073

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
so after doing some looking i have 1st design tie rods, which are not cheap. is it possible to swap to the less expensive 2nd design? if not oh well, but if so i have those on teh shelf at work. anyone???

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I just started looking for some Moog replacement tie rod ends for my K1500 6.2 and discovered an issue with parts.

Napa can and will sell you cheap joints that fit the stock adjusting rods and stock replacement 3/4 ton stuff as well, but it is cheap and costs 3 times as much as any one else but it will fit.

Autovalue or rockauto will try and sell you Moog parts ES2234R and ES2233L as replacement tie rod ends. The problem is they don't fit any thing as they are 7/8 thread but based on the 1/2 ton style of 2 short ends with a long adjusting sleeve. But only the the 3/4 ton used a 7/8 thread and it does not use a long adjusting sleeve rather the drivers side is long with a little 6 inch sleeve like on the drag link.

So ES2234R and ES 2233L are useless unless you have a custom made sleeve and nuts.

I called MOOG to find out what the heck is going on and low and behold ES2234 and ES2233 are discontinued and replaced with a whole new design that uses a 1 1/8 thread with a matching adjusting sleeve, to be used on both 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. One size fits all and is an upgrade over both applications.

Problem is nobody told the parts guys! lol So the part guy is adamant that ES2234 and ES2233 fits your truck cause that's what the book says, BUT THEY DO NOT!

Fortunately I measured before hand so I knew right away that they would not fit.

SO the only Moog tie rod ends and sleeve that fit our K body squares are Moog part # DS893(left tie rod end 32" long), ES2012S(short adjusting sleeve) and ES2011(right tie rod end) They are fully greasable and use a 1 1/8" thread.

Its also nice to not have to mess with the giant size nuts on the adjuster sleeve as it is the same style sleeve as on the drag link now.

I assume the ball joint is heavier duty as well because Moog claims once they are installed they are good for the life of the vehicle.

FYI if you need for other stuff MOOG 800-325-8886 very easy to deal with and they can tell you anything you need to know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones