Tick at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
The tick is mostly there at idle, increases with rpm up to about 1200 rpm then goes away. But what i cant seem to understand is when im cruising around 40 - 50 don't hear the tick at all, and i come to a stop the tick is gone for almost a minute or two but as it comes back it comes back as a really un rhythmic un consistent tick until it levels out to a consistent tick. Just wanted to see what yall had to say about this and if you guys had any ideas.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Ray, that sounds like the issue I had. It was an exhaust leak at the Headers/manifold. it certainly sounded like a bigger problem, so I was very surprised to find it. May be as simple as tightening the bolts? Hopefully that does the trick. Let us know what you find.

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
Ray, that sounds like the issue I had. It was an exhaust leak at the Headers/manifold. it certainly sounded like a bigger problem, so I was very surprised to find it. May be as simple as tightening the bolts? Hopefully that does the trick. Let us know what you find.
Hopefully that is the issue, the exhaust has been hanging pretty low for a bit and prolly before i owned so maybe that had loosen some bolts? imma have a look at it when i get home.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
An exhaust leak is easily found with a stethoscope. They are cheap at HF. Usually an exhaust leak is louder on a cold engine.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The tick is mostly there at idle, increases with rpm up to about 1200 rpm then goes away. But what i cant seem to understand is when im cruising around 40 - 50 don't hear the tick at all, and i come to a stop the tick is gone for almost a minute or two but as it comes back it comes back as a really un rhythmic un consistent tick until it levels out to a consistent tick. Just wanted to see what yall had to say about this and if you guys had any ideas.
A weak lifter that bleeds down at lower oil pressure after a bit.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
Have you installed new lifters in the last cpl yrs ? Have been using just "off the shelf" oils for the life of this engine ? (I assume it is a flat tappet lifter style engine ??)

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
Have you installed new lifters in the last cpl yrs ? Have been using just "off the shelf" oils for the life of this engine ? (I assume it is a flat tappet lifter style engine ??)
I just recently bought the truck as kind of a beater work truck for use around the house, or just roughing around. I would assume the lifters are stock and the previous owners also used it as a farm truck so i would guess they used bottom line oil, i would really like to know if it is a flat tappet as well its a 86

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Please post back in if it is something other than an exhaust leak.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
I just recently bought the truck as kind of a beater work truck for use around the house, or just roughing around. I would assume the lifters are stock and the previous owners also used it as a farm truck so i would guess they used bottom line oil, i would really like to know if it is a flat tappet as well its a 86
It is flat tappet hydraulic originally, so unless someone has installed a more expensive hyd roller setup it's likely still original, or at least still hyd flat tappet if replaced.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was wondering that about that as well. what would cause that to happen?
I'm not an engine internals expert but if there original ones there probably higher quality than aftermarket junk but they could be worn or have junk in them. Maybe run some Marvel Mystery Oil at the rate they recommend 20% replacement, for a few hundred miles and see if it has any effect.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
A weak lifter that bleeds down at lower oil pressure after a bit.
Yes, this is what I was thinking, or also an oil pressure problem that is more pronounced at idle.

@chevyfs If you were able to post a video or clear audio of it so we can hear the noise that would be helpful too.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ya know they got that piece of plastic that connects the distributor to the oil pump?
Bet it's that deal and the OIL PUMP SHAFT is beating around in the distributor hole. Best way to tell?

Replace the plaztic. It's two bucks.
Getcha a new distributor gasket too - just for kicks huh?

It'll be fun! :D

(February 11th)
That's still the fix.

You must be registered for see images attach

mike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hello, this very interesting! what does it take to replace this piece? Thanks!!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Remove the distributor.
Getcha a magnet on a stick and pull out the other piece.
Connect the two with the intermediate shaft guide and re-install.

No sweat. You'll need a distributor wrench.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising