The clutch is here, 4500 conversion done by New Years. You hear that @frankenchevy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are you using the stock auto column?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Are you using the stock auto column?
Yes. I had a guy who wanted to trade a manual/tilt, but after he sent me pictures I saw that it was an early column without hi/lo beam and wiper controls. So it’ll stay the auto one for now. I have my eyes open in the mean time. The column is in good shape. I pulled it apart, cleaned it, repacked the bearing and painted it. I’d also recently replaced the key tumbler and a couple other things...

you have a manual column lined up?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a manual non-tilt in it. Rebuilt it last year. Been using a Lokar floor mount with the auto in the meantime. The reverse and neutral safety switches are different between the two.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I have a manual non-tilt in it. Rebuilt it last year. Been using a Lokar floor mount with the auto in the meantime. The reverse and neutral safety switches are different between the two.
Mine didn’t have an NSS. I had to extend the reverse wires.

Neither of my first two manuals had a clutch interlock—my VW Beetle or my Audi S4

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That nv4500 is a b word to balance on your own. No flat spot. I married the TC before installing. Not sure if that was a mistake or not. It was heavy AF. Thought it’d kill me a few times.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Pictures please, I'm hoping to do this on my Stepper.
Let me know if there’s anything specific. I’ll let you know this week about my parts list once I know it all plays well together.
You must be registered for see images attach

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's a whole lot of backache sitting in my garage tonight!

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That's a whole lot of backache sitting in my garage tonight!
Yikes, and you have an early 4500. The taller integrated shift tower may make mating it to the engine more ‘interesting’ with floor clearance. Mine was dragging the underside of the tunnel as it was.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ya, I'm sure it will be as difficult as can be.

That spring on your TO bearing arm, did that come in your kit? Is it needed or there just because?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Ya, I'm sure it will be as difficult as can be.

That spring on your TO bearing arm, did that come in your kit? Is it needed or there just because?
It’s a spring I had in a two pack in my garage already. Won’t hurt to have a bit of return tension, but I’m not sure it’s necessary. I think the other one is still in the bag. I’ll see if I can find a part number for it. It was from home depot.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I drilled an 1/8” hole in the slave cylinder shield to put the other end through.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Let me know if there’s anything specific. I’ll let you know this week about my parts list once I know it all plays well together.
Right now I am just trying to figure out what parts I need to do the swap so I can start collecting them. I have a stock 465/205 in the truck right now. Before Covid I found a mid 90's Chevy at the u-pull-it that had a 4500 in it, but they closed down for a while and I forgot about it. Need to see if it is still there.

If I recall, the 205 in my truck should have the wrong input shaft for the 4500. I also have a transfer case that came out of a 85 Blazer that had a 700R4 in it, but I think that would also have the wrong input shaft.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What linkage you plan on using, mech or juice? What vehicle is this going in?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What linkage you plan on using, mech or juice? What vehicle is this going in?
If you are asking me, it's going in a 78 shortbed. Don't know which way I'll go yet, that's what I am trying to figure out. When I found the truck with the 4500 at the u-pull-it, it was complete so I wondered if I could use the bell housing and clutch assembly from it in my truck. Seems like I was told that there would be a problem with front driveshaft interference with the stock hydraulic clutch assembly.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If you are asking me, it's going in a 78 shortbed. Don't know which way I'll go yet, that's what I am trying to figure out. When I found the truck with the 4500 at the u-pull-it, it was complete so I wondered if I could use the bell housing and clutch assembly from it in my truck. Seems like I was told that there would be a problem with front driveshaft interference with the stock hydraulic clutch assembly.
You need a 32 spline shaft. The passenger side slave I’ve heard a couple of things. External I think would be a problem. Internal slave should be workable. By far the simplest, albeit not the cheapest is to get the AA bellhousing. I think it’s PN 712576. It’ll allow you to use the 465 clutch components and mechanical clutch linkage or hydraulic from an 85-87 if you chose that route.

The hardest part for me to source was a hydroboost/hydraulic clutch pedal assembly. Finally found one cruising through old classifieds on this site.

As far as the 205, I think the round pattern bolts straight up like the 208, but the figure 8 hourglass ones need an adapter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus