Th350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So dropped the valve bodies today. It was disgusting. Black as night fluid with gunk in it. Valve body gasket was stuck and messed up. The bottom of the pan was covered in black crap. It makes me wonder if the rest is covered in the crap. Should I take it and have it rebuilt or just get a new one?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You should be able to flush the valve body clean without much effort (don't forget to flush the cooler and it's associated supply/return lines).

The biggest hassle will be the contaminated ATF that remains in the torque converter. IIRC the T/C contains 6 of the total 10 quarts of ATF in a TH350.

I don't know if you're up for it, but it is really quite easy - to drill a drain hole to allow draining the old fluid with the T/C still in the transmssion. I have done it a couple of time and it is no big deal.

Basically it involves drilling a 1/8" hole in the outer shell, draining/flushing the old fluid out and then sealing the hole with a closed-head pop rivet and some sealant.

If you are interested, here is a link to the procedure as per the "The Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 Handbook":

http://books.google.com/books?id=bu...rain plug on a th350 torque converter&f=false

Reaction score
First Name
nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well. I'm just gonna get it rebuilt since it was so nasty I think some of the seals and other internals were burnt up. And I'm gonna go ahead and get a new tq convertor. I got a shop that says if I bring the trans up there they'll do it for 550. And it's a good shop everybody I know that's been there loves their work

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I had the same issue with my 700r4 so I went ahead and replaced the fluid and filter and truck wouldnt go into gear at all.. I would just rebuild it IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade