TH350 pink foamy fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redneck_reed78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Braden
Truck Year
1987, 1991
Truck Model
R30, Suburban
Engine Size
Have been troubleshooting why my transmission barely moves the truck forward, and only sometimes has strong reverse. Was replacing the vacuum modulator on the outside of the transmission and stuck the new one in without the bolt in just to see if it solved my problems. It didn't really fix anything but it got blown out of the hole and my transmission puked out a bunch of fluid that looks pink and foamy like pepto bismol. I am probably looking at a full rebuild now, correct?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
How long have you been trying to run it like this with water in the fluid? Did your internal trans cooler in the radiator break and pick up coolant, maybe? We had a 700R4 that had this issue in my dad's '86 Jimmy after it sat up. He just drained the fluid, refilled it, and kept going. It worked fine, but I can't remember the cause of it.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sounds like you're way overfilled and the fluid is getting into the rotating mass and it's all aerated, if that's the case you don't have solid fluid and you don't have any clutch apply pressure that's why it won't move, other possibility is water in the fluid from the radiator, but I have my doubts on that.

redneck_reed78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Braden
Truck Year
1987, 1991
Truck Model
R30, Suburban
Engine Size
I'll drain it, replace the filter and refill it to the right level and see what happens. If it doesn't work right still what rebuild kits should I look at? It will need to hold up to quite a bit as I plan to be over 300 hp out of my 350, pulling trailers, hooking to a sled on occasion, and hard driving in general , I want it to hold up. Currently have a 12 bolt locked and a 44 with 4.11's and 32's.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Drain it in a clean pan and see if there is water in there or not. I wouldn't worry about a kit yet, if it ends up needing a rebuild tear it down first and see what all it needs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus