TH350 falling outta drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamoChevyK10

Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 350
Ok gotta 1979 k10..... my prob is it'll fall outta drive into 2nd around 50+ mph. Also will fall outta drive if i accelerate harsly (like passing a car or something). But the thing is that i can pull the shifter down LIKE im bout to drop it into 2nd, but only pulling SLIGHTLY down on it. Then it will literally jump back into 3rd. I can hold it in this position an it wont fall outta drive at all. I have adjusted linkage twice??? What yall think? Cuz any other time it runs fine... sometimes will go a day or two without doing it. Been doing this for like 6 months or more. Done got use to it. Lol i try to stay round 45 and it dont give me to much trouble.
Ohhh yea never did this till parking pawl came loose... took linkage lose an went into pan to push pin back though. After that it started this. Also pin done came back though... using parking brake now.Thanks for any pointers guys, appreiciate it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds to me you have a weak Detent Spring on the Rooster Tail to the manual linkage bud. Now you also have rod that goes behind the Park Pawl, that is connected to the Rooster Tail. That rod maybe getting tangled up in the parking pawl. If you're mechanical minded, and you pull the pan, and play with the linkage and get an understanding of how it works, you can probably fix this yourself. Look at my Th350 Build Thread. There should be some helpful pics for you there in that build thread.

Sorry bud, I'm limping along in tornado land or I'd dig up the links for you. Maybe someone can help guide him to the links with the proper pages please. Thanks :waytogo:

BTW, Welocme to GMSB Camo. We'll get you fixed up.

CamoChevyK10

Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 350
Alright man thanks, i really appreiciate it. I think i know wat your calling the rooster tail. An i need to get the lil stopper that go on the end parking pawl pin... thats why pin wont stay in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512