TH350 speedometer drive 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vitamin C

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Can someone tell me what the small square unit is that is installed between the factory speedo cable and TH350 transmission? It is on the tailshaft of the TH350 and looks to be some kind of reduction unit, the cable threads into it and it threads into the transmission. I am converting from the TH350 to a TH400 and was wondering what this is, and does it need to be used on the TH400 transmission?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
It’s a ratio adapter used to fine tune the speedo.

Certain tire size/gear ratio combinations require speedo gears that don’t exist. The ratio adapter can fine tune the speedo.

If you clean all the crud off the adapter you will find the ratio. Some overdrive the speedo (if it reads slow) or slows the cable down if it reads fast.

Speedometer repair shops use to custom make those adapters. Not to many speedo shops around anymore.

Vitamin C

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
OK, i understand now. So if i can get the correct speedo gear for the TH400 i may not need the ratio adapter.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Read this:

You can use this to figure out what gears you need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg