Temptation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
So this probably cant happen but I found a very tempting thing on my craigslist a Ford 7.3 diesel turbo:):):). now ive seen roadkill make a a similar turbo for a Datsun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcjC00J8FaM and even though its probably pricier than I can afford just wanted some opinions. thanks.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
what year 7.3?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
If you go that route get a good rebuild and a wicked wheel note 7.3 movrs alot of air gonna be hard for a small block

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I stand corected cool vid

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You are talking just the turbo, correct?

Here is my .02.... If it's cheap, there is a reason! Even if you do get it and have it rebuilt, is it really the right turbo for what you what it for? Do some research on turbo sizing and go from there.

Honestly, make sure you can handle doing the cam swap you were talking about. If you can't handle that, you may want to think twice about doing a turbo install. If your cam swap goes good, dive into the turbo. Just make sure you actually do some research on what all goes into installing a turbo. Hot Rod mag just did an article on a cheap turbo kit from Amazon. It was a good read and showed what parts you can cheap out on, and some you probably shouldn't.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Ok thanks I didn't think of cams.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Are turbo's that much better than superchargers? I, personally, would rather have a supercharger stacked onto the engine and hanging out of the hood than a turbo setup.

I guess I am old school that way.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Are turbo's that much better than superchargers? I, personally, would rather have a supercharger stacked onto the engine and hanging out of the hood than a turbo setup.

I guess I am old school that way.

a turbo uses no HP to run it, and boost is almost instant compared to a supercharger, also a turbo quiets the engine, and you will get better fuel economy compared to a blower.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
a turbo uses no HP to run it, and boost is almost instant compared to a supercharger, also a turbo quiets the engine, and you will get better fuel economy compared to a blower.

Boost is not instant on a turbo unless it has anti-lag installed. A super has zero lag. Also, a super doesn't need a noisy blow-off valve. The whine produced from a super is much more pleasing to my ears than a fart valve. Finally, supers do not rely on engine oil to function, turbo's do.

There are pro's and con's to both; however, I'd still have a super if I could afford one. Nothing prettier than a polished chrome blower stack protruding from the hood!

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Proper turbo sizing for a streetable car is more difficult than just installing a supercharger even harder to do without turbo lag on a big turbo. That's why factory gasoline cars with turbos are fairly small or have dual turbos, either parallel or parallel/sequential.

All the gasoline use a simple waste gate while Diesels can use fancy VGT which allows them to go bigger and still get decent response time. Gasoline exhaust gets too hot to run VGT, it gets all jambed up with the hotter exhaust temps.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I agree with the coolness of a blower....but a blower is a parisite. A turbo uses waste to produce boost. There is alot involved in turbo set ups. Timing bust be retarded in relation to boost as well as fuel added and lower compression...unless you want to explode a piston. Blowers require this as well. As far as oil a turbo needs it for lubrication and cooling, unless its watercooled and there is another thing to plumb. Im no kid and i prefer turbos for function and blowers to look at. E85 and turbos are the way to go E85 likes boost and compression. Turbos,blowers and NO2 require similar cams, as well as quality rods and pistons. If youve seen the Roadkill episode where they blew up that 4.3 you can see why. As mentioned above do your research and be realistic with your skill set.....and most of all have fun. Years back i built an A4 1.8T tiny little K04 turbo and 310cc injectors at 27psi theres nothing like AWD donuts on dry pavement......and smoking Mustangs...but i digress

Last edited:

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
I run a 5.3 twin turbo in my 74 c10 short bed and I like driving around and getting 17 mpg out of a 230 hp eng with th400 trans and 342 gears . but step on the go pedal and go to 560 whp and it gets fun fast . you pull up along side a new charger at 55 and stomp on the gas and watch there eyes as you start smoking the rear tires in a 40 year old truck ( go pro cam's). with a blower you have to run like 411 gears where turbo likes gears like 342-308 make them work harder they like it . I have a buddy that has a mustang with a blower and he works on it all the time and still can't get me in a 1/4 mile lol

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you want the ultimate sleeper turbo's are the only way to go, acts and sounds like granny's grocery getter until you ease down on the pedal.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I run a 5.3 twin turbo in my 74 c10 short bed and I like driving around and getting 17 mpg out of a 230 hp eng with th400 trans and 342 gears . but step on the go pedal and go to 560 whp and it gets fun fast . you pull up along side a new charger at 55 and stomp on the gas and watch there eyes as you start smoking the rear tires in a 40 year old truck ( go pro cam's). with a blower you have to run like 411 gears where turbo likes gears like 342-308 make them work harder they like it . I have a buddy that has a mustang with a blower and he works on it all the time and still can't get me in a 1/4 mile lol

Got any specific specs for your set up? Cam? Turbo type/size? intercooled? Custom chipped fuel mapping, or flashed stock computer? Come on guys, posts like this, are like "yeah, I dropped a 454 with dual dominators in it" without real regard to details, makes it way oversimplified.

Is this an otherwise stock motor, or do you have forged pistons, etc?

Tell us more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bennlenl