Temperature Gauge Open Resistor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
So, my gauge has been reading high, meaning it maxes out on startup first thing in the morning. It seems to move a bit as the engine warms, but obviously somethings wrong here.

I ohm'd out the sending unit, and checked for grounds, but all was good. Decided to pull the dash, and found that the resistor on the back of the gauge, was wide open. I've read that it should be about 90 ohms, give or take.

Here's the question. Where in the name of all things holy do I get another one?? lol Can I just make my own? Visit ye ol' Radio Hack and build something up? If so, what wattage should I get? Obviously, I don't want to create fire hazard back there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and I don't mind at all if I'm wrong in my diagnosis. Please correct me if I am! LOL

Thanks!

Update: Turns out the resister on the back of the voltmeter is dead too. I'm thinking I might try to find a salvage yard tomorrow and see what I can find there. ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad