temp gauge not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I found my dark green wire that is for the factory temp gauge and went and got a new sensor and screwed it into the themastat houseing and let my k20 warm up for about 45 min. The gauge in the truck did not move. hummm.

What could cause my gauge not to me working? what should i check.?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Pull the green wire from the sender, stick a jumper in the connector and touch it to the engine block. This will provide a full path to ground.

With the key in the run position the temp gauge should peg high.

If not, trace the wire back and look for breaks.

themastat houseing

What??

The sender normally goes in the LH cylinder head between # 1 & 3. It would probably work in the water outlet too but the green wire doesn't stretch that far.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No the wire didnt strech that far but i had to untape my harness to find the wire that was damaged so installed a new piece of wire, and yes it is screwed into the thermostat housing. I have plugs in the cylinder head where the old one use to be. But i guess i could remove that if i had too. But my after market gauge did work with it screwed into the housing.

I will ground that out and tell youwhat i find!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If you've already opened the harness and know where the lead is - you're on the right track.

After it disappears into the harness, it passes through the fire wall with the rest of the wires. From there it is a straight shot to the male connector that plugs into the back of the instrument panel.

If you get no reaction when you ground the sender end of the lead to the engine, check the entire green wire for continuity.

Keep the sender end connected to the block. Go in the cab and touch one of the meter probes to the other end - where it goes into the male connector (it will be on the bottom right - looking at the back side of the panel). Then touch the other probe to a good ground in the cab (the ground bus block is handy).

If you show continuity across the lead there is something amiss in the instrument panel.

You must be registered for see images attach

You do know that there is a fuse for the gauges - right? Second full row up and second fuse in from the left. Labeled IGN/GAUGES - 20 amp. Is the oil pressure gauge working or is it out as well?

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thank you i will try that! and i have an aftermarket oil gauge so i am not sure but i will check the fuse. The fuel gauge and spedo work l

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SquareInheretance