TBI " unswap " ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

440sixpack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I just bought a 100% rust free K10 Silverado the other day. it's not a show rig but it's a really nice original looking pickup.

Problem is he installed a '93 TBI and 700R4 with the part time case behind it. my intention was to rebuild the original 400 and replace the TBI engine with it. but he did such a nice job with the swap and everything works so nice now I'm having second thoughts.

I'm not restoring this pickup for resale, in fact I have no intention of selling it. so does the TBI engine add or detract from a rig like this do you think ? and would it add or detract from the value ?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Its a convenience, if it works perfectly and is a great install, it seems like a waste and extra work to swap in the 400 for no reason. Drive it until it gives you issues then swap it out, hell you could drive it while restoring one for the 400.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It comes down to this, do what makes you happy !!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
What year is the truck? My 94 burban with the tbi 350 and 4l60 gave me about 334k (heavily beaten, hard earned and barely maintained) miles so take it for what it is. My 90 gmt400 had a 76' 350 tied to the 700R and blew the motor twice but that trans never missed a beat. Personally id cruise it and do what makes you happy. Btw post up pics all of gmsb wants pics lol

440sixpack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It's a '77 SWB. no question it's an improvement. it just doesn't seem right though.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
It's a '77 SWB. no question it's an improvement. it just doesn't seem right though.

Thats a matter of opinion if you are a die hard purist or carb guy I could see it.. I prefer to enjoy driving my vehicles and go for what is the least amount of work for the most amount of fun and reliability.

also if you have no intention of selling it the only way it can add or detract value is to you since no one else will be owning it.

KilgoreTrout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I would never go back to carbs if I could help it.
Unless maybe it had to be a period correct show truck or something.

Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Don't mess with it. If you have busy hands, get another one to tinker with

Super-Dave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
If "TBI just doesn't seem right" it begs the question, why did you buy it in the first place?

I had two '74 Internationals (Fleetside and stepside), Pain In The Ass, Pickups. Sold them to people who just had to have period correct trucks. On the International Forum, owners seemed to brag about who had the worst time fixing their trucks and/or finding parts! They NEVER talked about how much fun they had DRIVING the damn things!

If you want to "feel right" sell the truck to someone who wants to enjoy a dependable truck where the PO "did such a nice job with the swap and everything works so nice" and go buy yourself a pickup that needs a new engine, and God knows what else, and knock yourself out "making it feel right."

I don't know. . . it just confuses the hell out of me when someone knowingly buys a truck where the PO "did such a nice job with the swap and everything works so nice" putting in a '93 TBI and 700r4 - then wants to undo everything that he just said was "so nice" just to make it "feel right." Makes my damn head hurt!

I truly wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You're going to miss the overdrive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics