TBI Throttle Body Tear Down and Rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
sounds good to me then because I was unsettled on even trying to mess with the FPR besides changing the thing out.

Well, this is what I ran into. My AFPR would only go as low as 11.5 psi. My stock regulator was supplying 10psi...you wouldnt think that would make much difference, but it did...stuck my stock regulator back on, and things settled down a little.
Since all the tuning here recently, and finding un expected **** wrong with my throttle body, and repairing those problems, I finally have a pretty smooth idle(im picky, I like a Cadillac smooth Idle) and great power.
Believe it or not, we ended up taking a shitload of fuel out at idle, and adding in the mid range, because of my "Mild" cam.

Last edited:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Subscribed!

Excellent thread.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I think i'm done with the tb smoothing now lol..

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice work man. :)

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Is it of value to blend the transition from the upper "funnel" shape, to the more cylindrical area that meets the throttle plates? There's sort of tight turn there that it seems like would create a restriction.

In other words, can you make it more velocity stack shaped, right up to the throttle plates? Or do you risk breaking through? Or would it not make that much difference?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I thought of the same. I don't see why it wouldn't work but you would definately want to stay away from being too close to the blades. Then again on tbi could cause issues, bigger holes and when the blades open some there hole is biggher, like it was opened further but it's not, thus causing some lean issues or something?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Is it of value to blend the transition from the upper "funnel" shape, to the more cylindrical area that meets the throttle plates? There's sort of tight turn there that it seems like would create a restriction.

In other words, can you make it more velocity stack shaped, right up to the throttle plates? Or do you risk breaking through? Or would it not make that much difference?

I thought of the same. I don't see why it wouldn't work but you would definately want to stay away from being too close to the blades. Then again on tbi could cause issues, bigger holes and when the blades open some there hole is biggher, like it was opened further but it's not, thus causing some lean issues or something?
you sure can, but I think they use a custom made sanding drum/mandrel to make the initial grind, then polish it up.
Per CFM-Tech, their porting brings the cfm from 480 to 620, that tells ya just how much the injector placement plugs things up, and I think the plates are a little bigger too.

Last edited:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I just ment taking that "hump" out, so the funnel shape transitioned to the cylinder shape better.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I just ment taking that "hump" out, so the funnel shape transitioned to the cylinder shape better.

you mean around the circumfrance, right before the factory polished area before the plates?
I have seen that done...there is more than enough material...After all, they do bore these units to 2" from the 1-11/16" that they are now.

Last edited:

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Yes.

When I do porting, either in heads or throttle bodies (I've never done a TBI unit) I blend out all the "transitions." Not that I'm some sort of pro or anything, it's just how I was taught.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yes.

When I do porting, either in heads or throttle bodies (I've never done a TBI unit) I blend out all the "transitions." Not that I'm some sort of pro or anything, it's just how I was taught.

I think that hump would actually speed up the air, instead of hinder.
With TBI, Bernoulli principal is our friend!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Wouldn't that hurt the venturi effect and design?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Wouldn't that hurt the venturi effect and design?

Not really...the venturi was to help draw fuel into the airstream from a carburetor, where fuel was not injected. if you look at boosters in a carb, you may notice that they are kinda shaped like an airplane wing, only the wing is a loop(the throttle bore its self was the booster in early carbs) the air going over the internal surface(kind of a hump) travels faster, causing an area of low pressure(lower than atmospheric pressure) drawing fuel into the air stream, via a hole in the hump.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Not really...the venturi was to help draw fuel into the airstream from a carburetor, where fuel was not be injected. if you look at boosters in a carb, you may notice that they are kinda shaped like an airplane wing, only the wing is a loop(the throttle bore its self was the booster in early carbs) the air going over the internal surface(kind of a hump) travels faster, causing an area of low pressure(lower than atmospheric pressure) drawing fuel into the air stream, via a hole in the hump.

Yeah, I understand all that, let me rephrase it. Wouldn't the curved tapered bore be preferred rather than a V shaped bore that would have more of an edge where it transitions into the straight bore section of the butterflies?

You get what I am asking? Like it's a smoother flow? I don't see what advantage you get from increasing the size of the upper bore when the lower bore diameter @ WOT is the ultimate decision maker of the CFM entering the intake. I don't see how a large, v shaped bore would benefit at all.

Nut I ain't all that smaat so....:roflbow::roflbow::baby:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeah, I understand all that, let me rephrase it. Wouldn't the curved tapered bore be preferred rather than a V shaped bore that would have more of an edge where it transitions into the straight bore section of the butterflies?

You get what I am asking? Like it's a smoother flow? I don't see what advantage you get from increasing the size of the upper bore when the lower bore diameter @ WOT is the ultimate decision maker of the CFM entering the intake. I don't see how a large, v shaped bore would benefit at all.

Nut I ain't all that smaat so....:roflbow::roflbow::baby:

The injectors up top block air flow pretty good, so the only other place to get more air, is from around them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54