TBI pods are leaking!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
I lost an injector and the pickup coil partially whenever my ICM blew and tried to go the cheaper route. It was still a new injector, Standard Motor Products PN# TJ7, but not at the Delco premium price point. Big mistake, the design is garbage. The nozzle sits up inside a conical recess of the injector rather than at the tip like the OEM ones, the screen is integral to the body, not a little slip on neck like the original, and it sprays outward, down, and splashes up with little to no control. RockAuto shows TJ7 as a reman so maybe they quit making/distributing the new ones, but Amazon still shows the same PN as new replacement with a picture of what I got. Either way, I’m not paying $80 per unit again for the privilege to find out. I was lucky enough to find a correct Delco replacement dated 2001 for the same price, and it worked like a charm.

You must be registered for see images attach

thanks for that info! curious, if they are reman, what was the original manufacturer and fitment? i looked at ebay so i could see more pics, and they are definitely different. thanks again, you saved lots of folks lots of $$$$

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
I don't think I'd trust ATF to install those injectors. I'd use motor oil or grease to do it. They need to stay slippery until the bolts are tightened. I have used motor oil successfully, but I'd probably go with grease if I had to go back in there as many times as you've had to.
Joe

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
thanks for that info! curious, if they are reman, what was the original manufacturer and fitment? i looked at ebay so i could see more pics, and they are definitely different. thanks again, you saved lots of folks lots of $$$$

The picture on RockAuto leads me to assume they’re remanufacturing whoever made them originally, I’m guessing Rochester Product Division, Delphi, or both. That new production one fits in the injector housing perfectly, the external dimensions are identical to the OE unit, and it doesn’t leak out the top, just everywhere else in my experience.

The remans might be okay knowing that TBI injectors are really only susceptible to coil/solenoid failure and getting dirty, but I’d be very leery of any remanufactured injector without putting lots of miles on one. Even then, who would risk a breakdown when you can get a good new one for not a whole lot more.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't think I'd trust ATF to install those injectors. I'd use motor oil or grease to do it. They need to stay slippery until the bolts are tightened. I have used motor oil successfully, but I'd probably go with grease if I had to go back in there as many times as you've had to.
Joe

Dielectric grease works well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1985Reese