TBI Idling Waaay Too High

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I've gotten back to working on my Jimmy. I replaced the old IAC valve a while back to see if that would get the idle down to a lower stepper count than it was. Well, after fixing a bear of a transmission leak, I'm trying to run the truck. It's stinky rich, it's idling at like highway RPM, and it runs pretty rough. I tracked down the engine vacuum leaks. The TBI was leaking vacuum, and I had it rebushed. The PCV seal was leaking, and I replaced it. There shouldn't be anything else, right? I can hear a constant hiss under the dash when sitting in the car. I'm scared the brakes have some kind of vacuum leak. Do I need to drive it around to set the IAC right? I did the reset procedure correctly. I cannot figure out how to get this thing running right. I've come close but never right on the money.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You should try to find the source of the hiss. Try disconnecting and plugging the vacuum line to the brake boostter

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Constant hiss from the dash can be ac controls(vacuum selector switch). You can disconnect it and cap for testing on passenger side of the engine bay near a firewall.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You should try to find the source of the hiss. Try disconnecting and plugging the vacuum line to the brake boostter

Constant hiss from the dash can be ac controls(vacuum selector switch). You can disconnect it and cap for testing on passenger side of the engine bay near a firewall.

Alright, I tried both. There was a vacuum leak between that actuator ball and the firewall, and I fixed it. Definitely something wrong with the brakes; one side of the reservoir lost all its fluid and none leaked on the ground. I still hear the hiss inside. Whatever I did, it idles good for about three to five seconds, and then it idles up and I hear the hiss. This is with the brake line plugged, by the way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 58

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Alright, I tried both. There was a vacuum leak between that actuator ball and the firewall, and I fixed it. Definitely something wrong with the brakes; one side of the reservoir lost all its fluid and none leaked on the ground. I still hear the hiss inside. Whatever I did, it idles good for about three to five seconds, and then it idles up and I hear the hiss. This is with the brake line plugged, by the way.

check the back of the ac control panel or cap it by the firewall on the engine side

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
it will come through firewall center/passenger area
You must be registered for see images

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
it will come through firewall center/passenger area
You must be registered for see images

Negative on that hose. I think what I'm hearing is the vacuum leak noise coming from the engine because it's just a softer version of what's outside. It's really really aggressive. That's with the breather off. With it on, it's muffled, but the idle still sucks as much. It's like a normal startup for a split second, and then it feels like someone presses on the gas. Throttle is good, not binding. I noticed when you turn it off, it sounds like someone's opening a soda. I've had the breather off, and I it's never been that loud unless it's just the TBI sucking in more air. I really don't know here.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Start spraying carb cleaner around if you have not done so yet. Can also go back with a computer and check what mapp ssensor is showing. Have you also eliminated egr as a possible issue?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Start spraying carb cleaner around if you have not done so yet. Can also go back with a computer and check what mapp ssensor is showing. Have you also eliminated egr as a possible issue?

Yeah, I guess I'll have to do the carb cleaner test. I haven't done that yet, though. I did the old cigar smoke into the vacuum hoses to check for leaks, and I'd patch up the leaks where I saw puffs coming out. I'll check the MAP sensor with the computer. When I first bought the car, I was getting some EGR codes and funky behavior so I just replaced the valve, and it seemed to run fine since. I did recently replace the IAC valve. The old one was on there really loose, but I snugged this one up pretty good. Is it supposed to be turnable by hand or something? It was idling high before I replaced the IAC because it wouldn't step down quite as far as it should, but it's been like this since I put the new one on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krogers98gmc