TBI idling rough, misfiring randomly on accleration - EGR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi all,

I have been doing lots of reading and searching. I have a 87' TBI 350 that is not running well. On mild accelration I get backfires, but they are rare and random (wont have any one day, a bunch the next). Also it idles really rough and bogs on mild accelration.

From what I read, I need to start with either the EGR or fuel pressure. Does that seem like the most logical starting point for fixing/replacing?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hi all,

I have been doing lots of reading and searching. I have a 87' TBI 350 that is not running well. On mild accelration I get backfires, but they are rare and random (wont have any one day, a bunch the next). Also it idles really rough and bogs on mild accelration.

From what I read, I need to start with either the EGR or fuel pressure. Does that seem like the most logical starting point for fixing/replacing?

Yes, but follow test proceedures, will save you money.1st check fuel pressure, the rubber lines on the fuel pumps failing have really stumped the crap out of a lot of people.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Wow - I think I found the problem.

I started by looking at the EGR, seems to work ok as it held pressure when I put my thumb over the vacuum hole. Then I took the line off - guess what - old rubber hose that you can see holes in.

Then I started looking at more lines....I think I know why my cruise and A/C don't work....lots of old rubber hose with visible holes. I don;t know why I didn't check this sooner.

Anyways = going to parts store tomorrow after work and grabbing a bunch of new vacumm lines, hopefully this cures a few issues I have bee having.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrettkeith