TBI conversion won't start. Pickup coil in distributor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
hey guys, my dad swapped a TBI system from a van into his 86 short wide. The truck recently quit running, he insisted it was the fuel pump but I could still hear it running when you turn the key on. I went ahead and pulled the bed back and then realized to my surprise that you cannot reach the fuel pump that way on a short bed truck. Then I drop the tank, and replaced the pump and the filter in the frame. Still no start. Dad thought it was the fuel pump because we weren't getting a lot of fuel upfront while trying to crank it. But I read that if you have no spark, then you will not get fuel either. On a TBI system. Anyway, I pulled off the distributor cap,and it looked corroded on the tips so I replaced it, and added some dielectric grease. While I was at it I replaced the coil next to the distributor and brand new plug wires. Still nothing. I'm tired of throwing money at this thing. I laid a spark plug wire on the engine and tried to crank the truck but did not see any spark. I read that there is another coil down in the distributor. Do you think that's the problem, and how do I fix that. Thank you in advance

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Laying the plug wire down and looking for spark may not work. You need a spark tester (cheap), or an old spark plug to stick in there and ground out, or stick a screwdriver in there and lay it somewhere that a spark can jump off of it.

The ignition module has likely failed (if no spark), but if there's rusty broken bits laying on the distributor base, the pickup coil is shattered.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Where is the ignition module?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's the part that the electrical plugs plug into (plugs outside the dizzy). Then there's two brittle wires inside the dizzy that plug into it also. Those two brittle wires are what goes to the pickup coil.

And I call them brittle wires because they almost always are. Yours might not be brittle, but that's highly unlikely.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Replaced the ignition module. Fired right up. Thanks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
:cheers:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yup, first two things to look at. If you got a TBI no start, check the fuel pump by dumping a little gas in the TB and if she fires up its the fuel pump. If not, it's spark. And the usual culprit is that ignition module. Pick yourself up one of those cheap adjustable clip on spark testers. I can't tell you how handy that thing is. I had the same no start problem just a few weeks ago. But I tested for spark first. You can clip that tester right onto the brake booster housing and run a rear plug wire to it and barely be able to see it from in the cab if by yourself. But I saw a good spark so that pointed to fuel and I dumped a little gas in and she fired right up so I had to replace the damn pump in the tank.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
And there should have been grease that came with the new module you put on the bottom of it so it transfers heat faster. You got that right?

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, i lost rhe packet so i just coated it with a thick layer pf die electric grease

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good deal! Usually they start to give you a warning before they go out. You can feel it cutting out randomly or hard to start a few times. That's a good extra part to keep on the shelf if you deal with squares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade