Taking off passenger head about 37 bolts so far

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thank you

I cannot budge this passenger head off not sure what’s holding this down
The intake is still holding it down. You MUST remove the intake. All the way.

The cylinder head is sitting on top of two big dowel pins set into the block. You will need to get the intake and exhaust manifolds FULLY removed. Then the head bolts out, then pry up on the head and it should pop loose.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The intake is still holding it down. You MUST remove the intake. All the way.

The cylinder head is sitting on top of two big dowel pins set into the block. You will need to get the intake and exhaust manifolds FULLY removed. Then the head bolts out, then pry up on the head and it should pop loose.
And how many of us have said that so far???
Does one of us need to ask Rusty to come in here and tell him what he thinks too. Ya'll know that would get good....

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Hugomartin, we all have to start somewhere and it’s good you’re asking questions. As silly as this may seem to some folks, none of us had a clue how to remove a head off of an engine until we learned how.
However if someone wasn’t helping or showing us, we probably read the directions in a repair manual. You should do the same.
That said, save yourself some time and embarrassment and use that thing you’re using to post on this forum and lookup some instructions / videos.

It will help you more than posting random pics of things that people will pick apart.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Thank you for the heads up , yes plenty of coolant leaked out. It was a challenge getting the sockets snug on the bolt used up plenty of energy.

I openly admit i dont know what im doing , i just know remove all bolts and eventually ill get it out, was a bit bummed i need to take the intake off too.. Ican only imagine that this is 1k of labor already getting these bolts out thus far. Working on this truck is a serious workout day goes by real fast
I call it under hood yoga. You'll be posing in various weird poses for hours. It's great. And you usually feel as if a semi truck and trailer ran you over after the soreness sets in. But, we own 'em, we work on 'em, and we cuss 'em, yet we love 'em.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I once worked for a guy who gave me some of the most profound advice concerning the repair of motor vehicles - if a man put it together, a man can take it apart.

Yes, you can. But like anything in life, the quality varies. Folks here are trying to be helpful, but the best help is the kind you look for. Yes coming here counts as help, but with the internet there are so many examples of engine disassembly out there, most here would assume (yup, dangerous) this would have been looked at already. No worries, it's easy to get up to speed.

Since you say this is your first foray into internal combustion surgery, I suggest you make copious notes. Diagrams, explanations you understand, pictures on the phone, what worked and what didn't - mainly as refresher for when it's been six weeks and you're getting back on it. Also, one of those little Haynes manuals is helpful to a point, with pictures of actual stuff disassembled and such. You need to do your own due diligence in order to get the best advice possible from the group. In better terms, if your questions suck, so will the answers. Being concise is king, the others probably agree.

Here's my back of the napkin for ya. Work from the top down. Drain coolant first, unhook things in assemblies where possible. Leave carb on intake, unhook hoses, wires and controls and remove intake. Valve covers, exhaust, loosen rockers, remove pushrods, remove heads. Oh $#!t, forgot the distributor, get that before intake... by this point you will have the passenger head off and probably see what's wrong with your engine.

You have this with a bit of prep. It's not rocket surgery.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I once worked for a guy who gave me some of the most profound advice concerning the repair of motor vehicles - if a man put it together, a man can take it apart.

Yes, you can. But like anything in life, the quality varies. Folks here are trying to be helpful, but the best help is the kind you look for. Yes coming here counts as help, but with the internet there are so many examples of engine disassembly out there, most here would assume (yup, dangerous) this would have been looked at already. No worries, it's easy to get up to speed.

Since you say this is your first foray into internal combustion surgery, I suggest you make copious notes. Diagrams, explanations you understand, pictures on the phone, what worked and what didn't - mainly as refresher for when it's been six weeks and you're getting back on it. Also, one of those little Haynes manuals is helpful to a point, with pictures of actual stuff disassembled and such. You need to do your own due diligence in order to get the best advice possible from the group. In better terms, if your questions suck, so will the answers. Being concise is king, the others probably agree.

Here's my back of the napkin for ya. Work from the top down. Drain coolant first, unhook things in assemblies where possible. Leave carb on intake, unhook hoses, wires and controls and remove intake. Valve covers, exhaust, loosen rockers, remove pushrods, remove heads. Oh $#!t, forgot the distributor, get that before intake... by this point you will have the passenger head off and probably see what's wrong with your engine.

You have this with a bit of prep. It's not rocket surgery.
Also on making notes: you want to note what bolts go where, and if there are different sizes/lengths on an assembly, where these go. Quart size Ziploc bags are VERY helpful on this, as is a sharpie or other markers. Index cards or a note pad or notebook.... documentation and research are your friends!

Hugomartin

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 3/4 ton 5.7 350 suburban
Engine Size
Ok what else do I need to remove to get this head off I can’t get the intake off even though I’ve removed all bolts almost

Attachments

• 73A4B6C0-9354-4E49-A60D-4AAA03E8FD5E.jpeg
    73A4B6C0-9354-4E49-A60D-4AAA03E8FD5E.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 64

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Ok what else do I need to remove to get this head off I can’t get the intake off even though I’ve removed all bolts almost
I think the two bolts next to the TBI base still have to come out.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
well ALMOST isn't all of them. And even when all of the bolts are out, after years of heating ad cooling and old gaskets and pins and whatnot, things don't just pop off once all the bolts are out. Sometimes you literally gotta whack it with a hammer to pop it loose, just put a block of wood in there or use a dead blow so you don't crack anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
south456