Tailgate pivot hinge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
thats weird. the quick detach on my trailer(other one) works at about 45 degree angle upward, so a bumper would cause no issue

I'd sure like to see a picture of the side with the slot in the cup. Do you pull the tailgate up and out when it's at 45 degrees?

Here's what mine looks like. As you can see, it has to move down another 30 degrees or more before it will drop out. Maybe the cup or trunnion has rotated??? Wish I would have thought about that the last time I had the bumper off.:mad:

You must be registered for see images

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'd sure like to see a picture of the side with the slot in the cup. Do you pull the tailgate up and out when it's at 45 degrees?

Here's what mine looks like. As you can see, it has to move down another 30 degrees or more before it will drop out. Maybe the cup or trunnion has rotated??? Wish I would have thought about that the last time I had the bumper off.:mad:

I can get a picture in the morning of my other trailer with it properly attached and show you. To my understanding its as simple as flipping.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Here's mine.

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It's like my tailgate had the opening in a different location? Maybe reversing would still help? I don't have good spatial processing so you'd have to swap for me to see it. Which is a pain for you.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
thats weird. the quick detach on my trailer(other one) works at about 45 degree angle upward, so a bumper would cause no issue

That is how it should work

On my 82, quick removal only works if you don't have a bumper installed. :(

That's because the tailgate must drop around 30-45 degrees below level before the slot in the "cup" will slide out of the body-mounted trunnion on the passenger side.

Here's a parts diagram:
https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-87-chevy-gmc/bed-tailgate/cc-1973-87-fleetside-tailgate-attachment

The quick release trunnion socket and the hinge socket are reversed on your truck. This may have been done to keep anyone from stealing the tailgate.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Was in the local NAPA store today and noticed on the Dorman turn-around thingy they had what looked like the bolt on parts for our tailgates. Both pieces bed side and tail side.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Was in the local NAPA store today and noticed on the Dorman turn-around thingy they had what looked like the bolt on parts for our tailgates. Both pieces bed side and tail side.
The tailgate side, too? I figured it was welded but i didnt know.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Found the problem. The slotted cup on passenger side of my tailgate must have rotated. It should be oriented like in the picture below. So, like someone above said, it should lift up and off the oval shaped bed cup when the tailgate is dropped 30-45 degrees from vertical.

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
As you can see here, the open slot on the pressed-in tailgate " cup" was out of whack by 60 degrees or so.

Below: I was actually able to remove the bracket w/o removing the bumper! Then I held the bracket in the vise and rotated the cup to the proper position. It was very tight, but somehow had slipped over the years.:confused:

Below: Ended up with this alignment, and tack welded it in place.

Below: Compare the cup orientation with the top picture. The tailgate will now lift out when it's opened around 30 degrees. BTW, the actual tailgate color is just slightly different from the original paint on the bed. In fact, you usually can't see any difference! But it looks totally different in the eyes of an iPhone camera. ???

Last edited:

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
As you can see here, the open slot on the pressed-in tailgate " cup" was out of whack by 60 degrees or so.

Below: I was actually able to remove the bracket w/o removing the bumper! Then I held the bracket in the vise and rotated the cup to the proper position. It was very tight, but somehow had slipped over the years.:confused:

Below: Ended up with this alignment, and tack welded it in place. The tailgate will now lift out when it's opened around 30 degrees.

don't you just love small easy fixes?! Gives a sense of accomplishment like it made the truck a thousand times better.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
don't you just love small easy fixes?! Gives a sense of accomplishment like it made the truck a thousand times better.

Yes. I never really dug into the problem before getting involved in this thread. Ended up taking less time to fix it than to determine what I needed to do.:rolleyes:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes. I never really dug into the problem before getting involved in this thread. Ended up taking less time to fix it than to determine what I needed to do.:rolleyes:

Glad my curiosity worked to your benefit. I didnt take photos but i put the spare non- quick detach side from my trucks bed and put it on the trailer and put the tailgate on and tightened bolts,so now trailer has a tight fitting cup. I didnt realize the cup could rotate! Good to know though, for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike