Tail light modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I dont think you would want to **** with the side marker unless you also install a dedicated sidemarker(think dually but not a dually) because without a separate lamp doing the side marker job, you are comitting a traffic violation which may not be hot on many trooper or cop minds but depending if it looks strange may get pull overs for that . A dedicated sidemarker also would have to be legally followed to avoid technicalities but you could put it where you want within reason and shouldnt be bothered. I would say get a dually red side marke, proudly place it on the rear section horizontally (for looks maybe) but in the same height as the tail lamp and close to the rear not like more than a foot, then you could go to town on the lamp. If going that far, a CHMSL is not a bad idea either.

honestly, why not go further, amber turn signals are sexy :) and if you decouple from the tail /stop/turn then you have a more clear function on the 1 bulb per side, change those reverse lights to be amber turns, then put the reverse lights mounted in a bumper or something shining out so you got nice illumination at night. I can see it now.
Amber turns ARE sexy! Thats why i put 73 amber covers on my 78 in place of my clears! Up front obviously.
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Amber turns ARE sexy! Thats why i put 73 amber covers on my 78 in place of my clears! Up front obviously.
Well... I mean, they are safer with clear lens and amber bulbs, but that is only as far as "dimly" lit turns overall are concerned, amber housings are safe then as far as I care, and I think they definitely can be sexy yes, like I think it compliments your truck more than a clear would. I think my truck would likely look best as clear, with what it has, but I would have to try to be sure since the orange on the fender seems fine. :) My car, for example, is benefited by the rear being clear for sure.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Anyone else done this? Thinking of cutting away this part so to get a little more light out of the side of the tail lights and turn signal and brakes too. Thoughts?
either ive been doing it wrong on 2 different trucks or you have your little bulb socket 194 twisted on the backing there. I always assumed you pushed it in past the 4 "ramps" and then held, because its softer material /rubber. twisting I can only see it possibly losing contact with the bulb sides/contacts

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I get exactly what your saying, your thinking if he cuts that, hell be cutting into the back of the light backer, and be exposing an open hole that will get wether into it.
I think that piece is solid plastic, so not a problem, but even it is hollow, that could easily be fixed with some expandy foam or silicone.
exactly, I cut the marked out area away, no exposure to the backside of the bulb holder. so no weather concerns. lots more light out of the side of the lens. I think the LED bulbs will make it even better, I will get a picture soon

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
exactly, I cut the marked out area away, no exposure to the backside of the bulb holder. so no weather concerns. lots more light out of the side of the lens. I think the LED bulbs will make it even better, I will get a picture soon
Please do a picture without the LED, and do a pic with park lamps, then one with brakes on with park lamps, and one with the park lamps OFF and brake lamps. Then do turn signal with both on and off park lamps. You may want to even see what all three in different combo does, I wont ask for a pic of that tho. Also worth seeing if reverse on affects either of the other two sockets functions when on. Some point in the future get a helper and try them at night but you sit behind and watch.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Here is a cou pictures of the taillight bucket after I cut it out

Attachments

• 7C9C4C6C-F46D-4CA1-82A0-91BD87DA7582.jpeg
    7C9C4C6C-F46D-4CA1-82A0-91BD87DA7582.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 929406D9-76E9-4A6F-8441-C43F8E9FCA27.jpeg
    929406D9-76E9-4A6F-8441-C43F8E9FCA27.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 50

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Honestly, it doesn't look bad even though I probably wouldn't do it. Also, I think the cop would have to be having a real bad day to mess with a relatively innocuous old truck when there are dozens of rice powered hooligans or stoplight drag kings he could taunt on a daily basis. WA is full of young guys and gals with more money than sense bebopping around with all the developers and programmers west of the mountain. I see them literally everyday in Leavenworth.....

Last edited:

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Honestly, it doesn't look bad even though I probably wouldn't do it. Also, I think the cop would have to be having a real bad day to mess with a relatively innocuous old truck when there are literally dozens of rice powered hooligans or stoplight drag kings he could taunt on a daily basis. WA is full of young guys and gals with more money than sense bebopping around with all the developers and programmers west of the mountain. I see them literally everyday in Leavenworth.....
All I did was take out the plastic fin in the bucket. If anything it puts out more light!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

What I started with ^

After Soda Blasting ^

Sprayed with this ^

One Coat
I put on 3 coats but phone batt died and I wanted to get it back together before the rain hit.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I painted the insides of taillight housings with gloss white. Made them a whole lot brighter. I did the same on my old 65 Suburban as well. Those housings were anodized metal but the white made the light much brighter. I also wax the lenses inside and out to bring back the red color after it fades a bit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20